Two

Trisha Chess had a little problem. 

Her older brother, Jacob, wasn't home from the dinner yet. He had gone the night before to a dinner hosted by a few of his close friends. 

He was supposed to be home hours after that. 

Trisha's younger sister, Valerie, was crying in her room, Trisha trying to calm her down. 

"Calm down, Valerie, it's okay, everything will be fine, I'm positive Jacob is alright." Trisha assured. 

Valerie dried her eyes on her sleeve with a sniffle, And nodded. 

"O-Okay, big sis." Valerie sniffed. 

Trisha sighed and smiled at her sister, ruffling her hair and giving her a hug. 

"I promise."

~💚~

 It's been two days.

 Jacob was still not home. At this point Trisha was worried sick. What if he was kidnapped?  What if he was murdered? 

She paced back in forth in her room and thought hard, 

Where could he be? She thought. 

As time passed, Trisha came to realize he wasn't coming home. She didn't know how she knew this, or why, but she could just feel it. 

One day, Valerie came up to Trisha. 

"Is Jacob home yet?" She asked, tilting her head. 

Trisha felt like a boulder hit her.  How could she tell her that he wasn't coming back? 

Trisha just smiled sadly, and said, "I don't know Val, I don't know.." 

And as soon as she finished that sentence, a rhythmic knocking was heard from the door. Trisha snapped her head toward the direction of the door.

"Who is it?" She called. No answer. 

Trisha rose an eyebrow and cautiously sneaked toward the door. 

"Hey Val, go into your room, please." Trisha stated. Valerie nodded her head, skipping to her room. 

Trisha then opened the door a crack. Nothing was there. 

Well, there was one thing there, a letter, placed neatly on the center of the deck. Trisha bent down and picked the letter up, examining it in her hands. She looked around and went inside, closing the door. 

She also locked the door just in case. 

Placing the letter on the table, she stared at it for a few moments, contemplating on whether she should open it or not. 

A few moments pass, and she decides to take a look. Trisha rips open the fancy envelope and unfolds the letter carefully.

What she read was interesting.

"Dear Trisha Chess, 

 Pardon me for being a bother, but I have a message for you. You see, as you know, a week ago, your brother, Jacob Chess, went to our Prescott Dinner Gala."

Trisha's eyes widened. 

The Prescotts?!  You mean the wealthiest family in the world? Why would he go there? How did he get invited?  She screamed in her mind.

"Anywho, your brother won't be returning home, he got a job here at our mansion, and sadly cannot take you with him. He wanted us to send you this message so you don't worry. Hope you aren't too concerned. It's not good for you if you worry. 

                                                                                                                                         Sincerely, 

                                                                                                                                            The Prescott Family" 

Trisha squinted her eyes. It was suspicious. Why would her brother even consider living with them and leaving his only family behind to fend for themselves? It didn't add up. 

But that's the only thing she could believe right now. 

She sighed and placed the letter down. 

What was she to do? 

She was only 14, she couldn't take care of her sister by herself.. 

Usually, by the age of 12, girls could take care of herself and their families. But Trisha had never had a mother, or she never knew one, so she was never taught how to take care of a family. 

She was frustrated to say the least. 

She couldn't go find help, she lived out in the middle of no where in 19th century London. She didn't know her way around the area. There was no other form of transportation, her brother took their only horse. 

And before Trisha knew it, tears were streaming down her face. She didn't know what to do. 

How could Jacob do this? 

~💚~ 

Soon, Trisha and Valerie had no food left in the house. Valerie was begging Trisha for food. It broke Trisha to the point that she had several mental breakdowns. 

Until, that is, she had enough. 

Trisha slammed her hand on the table and called for Valerie. Valerie ran in, eyes sparkling. 

"Do you have food? Is Jacob home?" She asked, excitedly. 

Trisha clenched her jaw and fist. 

"No, but we'll find some. No, but we'll find him." She answered. 

Valerie looked at her confused. 

"Really?" Valerie said in disbelief. 

"I did promise you, didn't I?" Trisha smiled. 

Valerie hugged her, crying out of sheer happiness. Maybe everything will be okay after all. But also...maybe not.

Trisha was still suspicious, it doesn't make sense. None of it did. Why would her brother not write to them? Why would he just leave them? Who put that letter on their deck? 

How did they find her house? How did they get there? And how did they leave so quickly? There were no signs of horses or carriages. 

It just didn't add up. Not one bit. 

So Trisha and Valerie went on their way, across the large plain to a villiage or city. 

But that's where their nightmare officially began.