3 - Let the past die

The red blade running through the chest of Han Solo. The blue blade trying to cut Snoke in half but failing. Rey dying in a mutiny. His mother dying by the hands of his wingmen. All of these images flooded Ben's mind in his sleep. In every situation, he was paralyzed, there was nothing he could do to save the ones he loved and destroy those who were responsible for their deaths.

"Ben?" A distant voice called out, but he wouldn't listen. He had to fight it, the darkness that haunted him.

"Ben!" This time he heard it more clearly, as if it was coming closer...

"BEN!" His eyes shot open, recognizing Rey's silhouette looming above him. A few strands of his dark hair soaked in sweat fell to his face as he quickly sat up on the floor.

So it was not real, it was a nightmare. Ben sighed. It was foolish to think that after Snoke's influence in his mind was gone, the bad dreams would disappear. His eyes searched for Rey's. She kneeled beside him, running her hand up and down his back.

"What happened?"

Silence.

What happened? Rey asked again, this time without speaking the words loudly, letting her eyes and feelings voice her question.

"A nightmare," Ben quietly replied and stood up, marching back and forth near the viewport of his chambers. Usually the calmness of deep space soothed his thoughts. Not long after his pace settled and his eyes focused on the stars, he heard Rey's footsteps behind him.

"Did I wake you?" He asked and clenched his fists at the thought that it were probably his screams and pleads that interrupted Rey's sleep. He hated it. He hated that he had no control of the thoughts while he was asleep.

"No, not entirely. I just can't sleep on such soft mattress. You should have let me sleep on the floor," Rey replied. He could not see her expression, but he guessed she was smiling. Oh, her smile, one thing that was brighter than any star in the galaxy. Ever since they joined forces, her smile would appear more and more often and he was getting addicted to her expression of happiness. Ben closed his eyes and pictured as her lips curved in the corners, how it partially revealed her teeth. The next thing he knew, all of the anger he felt before was gone. He was left with a feeling that he hadn't felt in a really long time – joy. Was it was a weakness or a strength? Ben guessed he'd have to figure it out later.

"Of course not, the future Empress of the whole galaxy sleeping on the floor? Don't even think about it," Ben finally replied, turning to face her. When he just woke up he overlooked her appearance, but now, when his mind was settled, his breath was taken away by the sight of her.

Rey stood there with her hair loose, settled on her shoulders. She was wearing one of his robes – the Ascendancy had not the appropriate clothing for an Empress, but he'd make sure they would stop to purchase all things necessary.

The dark fabric covered her upper body and the whole way down her thighs, it stopped just above her knees. The sleeves were very loose, after all he was taller and therefore had longer hands. Everything was too big for her but she did not complain, she felt comfortable. It were not the clothes that intrigued him the most, it was her smile, just as he imagined it.

"Says the future Emperor who sleeps on the floor," Rey retorted and raised her eyebrow. How could he tell her not to sleep on the floor because she rules the galaxy when she could tell him the same thing?

"Got me," Ben admitted and without realizing it, his lips formed a smile as well.

"Maker, what is wrong with your face?" Rey asked and he froze. His hand instinctively ran across his mouth. What if he drooled while he slept?