• s i x •

hey, girl, hey. kate's back and she's back to stay! my life is unpacked and order has returned to my world sooo i can go back to writing again. hurray! i was so excited to finally post something that this had a quick edit so if you see a mistake please let me know.

i appreciate any and all comments you leave telling me what you think so far. thanks for sticking in there!

Never in my life did I expect to end up a Domestic, nor did I expect to be bossed around by a fellow sub.

We had arrived in a box truck, six of us including myself. Giggles, Mouse and Cal were all that remained from the original party. I tried to not think about the ones left behind. The house was massive on a stretching lawn adorned with decorations from a Holiday I'd never celebrated before.

We were met by a Dom dressed in a beige uniform who signed with flourish and frog marched us up a long stretch of shoveled walk. A large concrete looking cube was stuck awkwardly to be back or the beautiful house. Probably were the staff was expected to stay. There was also a long building against the tree line lined with doors. Housing?

"Where do you think we are?" Cal's carrying whisper must have carried to massive man but he didn't shush us as expected. We were ignored.

We stepped into a big room, full of boxes and other various items. And that was where I met the new symbol of authority. He looked to be several years my senior, probably mid thirties, a little heavy set with a round face and coal-like eyes. He was dressed relatively well for being a Domestic or rather, how I assumed they would by the stories people came back with.

I expected them to be dressed in tatters, humiliated by the home-owners, worked to exhaustion... He stood over us however, with a snide sense of entitlement that set my teeth on edge. "Welcome to the Davenport Estate. I hope you all take a moment to recognize how lucky you are to be here."

Christ, here we go...

"This a Domestic Role and I do not tolerate laziness, disrespect, or stealing." He glowered at us as if his role was somehow superior to whatever would be doing. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "Your day begins at 5 and ends when you've accomplished all of your tasks. Besides your typical duties you are to be prepared to meet the demands of the Davenports. They are first and foremost your priority. Their happiness should your primary concern. Remember: if you do no hold up to expectation there will consequences. Who here can read?"

One of the subs I didn't know rose his hands slowly. The sub scoffed.

"Great. Illiterates," he spit. "You'll be expected to learn. Uneducated Domestics reflect poorly on the Estate owners and will slow you down while accomplishing your tasks. My name is Gill and I will be meeting with each of you individually to go over your portfolios while you settle. Now before we get started do you have questions?"

I held my tongue narrowly as he gave us a sweeping piercing look. I occupied the silence by look around my surroundings. The boxes in this room seemed to be new for the post part, packages sealed with table and wrapped in paper. Beneath the boxes I could see some items. A few pairs of boots with snow melting from them reminded me of how cold my own feet were. The room was relatively warm however and it reminded me of being back at the Post.

"This is the staff entry and delivery room. Today is clearly delivery day. As Domestics you're not expected to unload the trucks--the delivery men do that themselves but you will be expected to rearrange them to make them accessible and logical for unpacking which you will do. Delivery mornings alternate on a schedule so not one person is stuck with it each week. But we'll address that more later one." Gill assessed our silent party and seemed pleased with our lack of response. "The building you are in now is the staff area. There is a kitchen, restrooms and even a break area if you find yourself with extra time which, frankly, you shouldn't if you're doing your work thoroughly."