Chapter 16

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter 16

I came too slowly and made a vow there and then to any god that was listening that I would no longer pass out and end up in strange places. I took a deep breath and another inventory of how I felt. Physically I felt fine and even my head was feeling much better, but I still felt like some key part of me was missing and realised my neural pathways were still fried. Sighing I sat up and screamed when I saw that I wasn't alone. Normally no-one can sneak up on me, but I couldn’t sense their brainwaves, emotions or thoughts and they had been incredibly quiet. The door to the room burst open and Marissa came charging through, but stilled when she saw no threat. ‘What is it Iz?’ Behind her came Dominic, Frener and Cherrick. ‘Nothing I was just surprised that I wasn't alone, people can’t normally sneak up on me you know.’ Marissa laughed and shook her head walking back through the door.

Dominic came forward and dismissed the people around me. There wasn't a single face I recognised, but I knew they were all spell casters; none of them had the animal grace of a Shifter. When they had left Dominic moved to me and grasped my hand. I instinctively jerked back hard, but nothing came, he was just gripping my hands. I smiled and closed my eyes feeling tears build in my eyes. Dominic tugged me closer and before I knew it he was hugging me and smoothing my hair. I sighed and relaxed and felt utterly calm. ‘You scared me Izzy, you seem to have spent more time here unconscious than otherwise.’ I leaned back and grinned. ‘No more I made a vow to god.’ He chuckled and let me go. Frener was next; he looked like a young professor today, but while I knew it wasn't his natural form, but without my gift there was no way I could tell. ‘You were hurt badly by what you did Oracle, but you saved a lot of lives.’ I dipped my head and gestured to the room. ‘Can I go I feel like I have been lounging about forever?’ Dominic smiled and nodded, but reached out to still me. ‘Before you go did you notice anything about Owen before you put him to sleep?’ I frowned and then gasped. ‘Yes there was something moving beneath the world, but I couldn’t see it because I’m still healing but I could feel it and then when I took control of Owen I saw a haze around him and when I touched it...’ I trailed off and shuddered. ‘It was awful, like a whispering to drain Moira, to kill her because I could just because I was stronger. It was so compelling and it was all around Owen.’ Frener turned to Dominic and I saw real honest to god fear in his face. ‘What is it? Is it the Lunar Madness?’ Dominic shook his head and then smiled at me. ‘Thank you Izzy that was helpful indeed, now rest for a little longer and then we can see about getting you up and about.’ I nodded and smiled back at him even though I had absolutely no intention of doing as he asked.

When they left I rushed for the door and thanked whoever was watching over me that my gang was already assembled. ‘Guys get in here.’ All eyes jumped to me before they did as I asked. When we were all in and the door was shut I turned to Moira. ‘I need your help.’

‘This is insane; Dominic would never keep anything from you that may affect your life.’ I turned to Pietr and shook my head at his naiveté. I didn't fully trust anyone and especially not now I was defenceless. I had explained the haze around Owen and then the Freners reaction and then I told them my plan. ‘Look I am not used to having to resort to this to gain knowledge, but it is common knowledge at the minute that I am powerless so what better time to plan an attack. I am telling you something is off and I am not going to sit around being spoon-fed utter bullshit . That haze was not the moon madness. There is something targeting Shifters I don’t know what, but I am sure Dominic does and Frener definitely does. Look these are our friends and something is happening to them.’ Mari grinned and slapped Pietr on the back. ‘Come on Pete it’ll be fun.’ His face blanched at the slightly manic smile on her face. I laughed and turned to Moira. ‘Can you do it, can you cover us?’ She nodded slowly. ‘I can do it, but I am not as strong as you, it will take all my strength so if you find yourself in a situation similar to that of yesterday I will not be able to aid you. You will be on your own.’ I nodded. ‘I understand, thank you Moira.’ She nodded and closed her eyes creating the illusion that I was asleep in bed. I looked up at my spell casting trio, two of which looked ridiculously excited – Pietr was understandably nervous. Finally I turned my gaze to Bryant who held out his hand. ‘Come on Oracle time to get some answers.’