Chapter 18

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter 18

All around me were cages and in every cage was a Shifter, but not like any Shifter I had ever seen; they looked wild and deranged. As I stood there taking in the cells that were barely large enough for one Shifter to stand in I swallowed a cry and stepped further inside leaving the comforting shield that Bryant had around him, but I was so shocked I barely noticed. I started off walking down the rows, but my walk turned in to a jog, which turned in to a frantic run. I barely noticed the tears that were running down my face until I saw a familiar blonde head. ‘Greg?’ I moved to the bars and reached through, but Greg just snarled at me, his eyes were bloodshot and wild. I obviously didn't move away fast enough because he lunged at me. I staggered back and hit another cell. Two strong arms wrapped around me from behind squeezing tightly. I went still and turned my head to see two red eyes and bared teeth, but the face was achingly familiar. ‘Kit?’ He didn't so much as twitch at the sound of my voice and my heart broke. ‘Kit it’s me Izzy? Your glykia mou. Don’t you remember? Come on Kit you remember me.’ There was nothing. Mr C had come up and was staring at Kit keeping his body strangely relaxed. ‘Kit let her go.’ The arms didn't move in fact they got tighter. I gasped and my hands automatically moved to rest of Kit’s. The minute my gloves touched his skin he stilled. I took my chance and reached out. The haze around Kit was thick and angry and pulsing. I grit my teeth and waded through it immediately feeling the insidious whispers urging me to take control and kill. I ignored it and finally reached Kit. Before he could crack my ribs I imagined a transparent globe surrounding Kits brain and forcibly filtered out all of the fog, but something was wrong, his brain was red and angry and I realised I might already be too late. His arms didn't loosen, but I wasn't paying attention I was too busy frantically thinking of what I could do. My presence here was causing problems the Shifters were stirring, throwing themselves against the cell doors, the rumbles and rattles making everyone anxious. Suddenly I was shoved away. I stumbled to my knees and looked back to see Kit backing away from his cell door. ‘Leave now.’ His voice was different, rougher and lacking in all emotion. Mr Carter moved up to me and helped me up. ‘Perhaps we should go and come up with a different plan.’ I shook my head violently. ‘No, it may already be too late. Kit’s brain is already showing severe effects. I can’t wait any longer it has to be now.’ I was shouting so at first we didn't notice the change in the room the first warning we got was Marissa’s startled shout. The second was my back slamming up against the wall and a monstrous face snarling at me. Warm drool dripped on to my shoulder and the fetid breath made my skin crawl. ‘Owen it’s me, it’s Izzy. Come on you know me.’ He lifted a hand and wrapped it around my throat squeezing. I gasped and felt my pulse pound in my temple. I was trying to reach out and calm him, but I was panicking and I couldn’t hold my concentration. I heard Mr Carter and Marissa, but I didn't know what they were saying. Just when I thought I was going to pass out again a shadow moved up behind Owen and then I was looking in to my favourite golden eyes. I blinked and then felt the most wonderful thing; sweet, cool oxygen. I sank to my knees and looked up just in time to see Owen hit a cell and slump to the ground. ‘Glykia mou you will be the death of me.’ I sighed and closed my eyes. ‘You weren’t there Kit, I looked.’ I closed my eyes and searched again noticing a golden pulse that was forcing the haze away, but not far. Reaching in I shielded his brain again and did all I could to soothe him mentally. The minute my mind brushed against his the red faded and his emotions calmed down. He sighed and went to his knees in front of me placing his arms on the wall behind me caging me in. Slowly he opened his eyes and looked at me. His gaze was intense, it was drilling in to me as he leant forward and gently rested his forehead against mine. I sighed and carried on stroking his brain. Each touch caused him to relax further until he was pressed right up against me pinning me to the wall and purring deep in the back of his throat. I didn't stop until all the red had faded. I wasn't sure how long we had been sitting like that, but I didn't want to move, Kit was warm as usual and his rhythmic purring was more comforting than I remember. Finally I withdrew my mind, but maintained the shield. I kept my eyes closed praying this wasn't a dream. ‘Open those beautiful eyes for me glykia mou. Let me see you.’ I took a deep breath and looked up. He smiled at me and the arrogant tilt of his lips was so familiar. ‘I thought I was too late.’ I didn't dare speak louder than a whisper because I was worried my voice would crack. ‘No glykia mou, I am right here.’ I nodded and leant forward resting my face against the hollow of his neck. He shuddered and cupped the back of my head pressing me against his skin. I felt calmer and happier than I had in days and would have stayed there forever if Mr Carter hadn’t interrupted. ‘Izzy the others are getting a little restless and Owen won’t stay down forever, if you are going to do something you have to do it now.’ Kit flowed to his feet in one fluid movement and held his hand out for me. I slid my hand in to his and he jerked me up. ‘Ready to earn your keep Oracle?’ I raised a brow and buffed my finger nails on my top. ‘Watch and learn puppy.’