↝ one shot

yesterday (14th of february) was benjamin's birthday so i whipped together this 1400 word one shot of what his life looks like now after the end of "light me up" !! hope you enjoy x

_____________________________

 FOR TWENTY-NINE YEARS, Benjamin Espinoza had been an erratic spitfire who went and came as he pleased, lived without restrictions and made sure to put his heart into everything

FOR TWENTY-NINE YEARS, Benjamin Espinoza had been an erratic spitfire who went and came as he pleased, lived without restrictions and made sure to put his heart into everything. He was a man of passion and freedom, and that was evident when you took a look at his past — he had, after all, fled L.A without further hesitation and proceeded to travel around the world for years, partying and doing things his cop brother wouldn't be too happy to hear about. But once that very same brother, or more so the thought of him, got in Benji's head enough, he ended up returning home and finding a new family, new friends, an actual boyfriend — of course, it wasn't so easy to put a label on his and Lucifer Morningstar's relationship when it only took him a few months to hop on another plane and avoid being a mature adult.

          But there was a difference between then and now. This time, Benjamin wasn't just getting high and drinking shots from some attractive stranger's abs. Instead, he was soul-searching, trying to piece his life together and figure out his own head before diving back into another chapter with the Devil and whatnot. And that was how Benjamin's 30th year differed from the past ones — he was finally becoming an adult.

          Indeed, another Valentine's Day had arrived and the people around him were buzzing with either major hype or sadness that increased with each passing couple. However, Benjamin had saved a lonely woman's day on the streets of Berlin by buying her a rose and complimenting her outfit, before continuing with his day and smiling at the thought of his plan. See, for him, it wasn't just the day of love, it was also his birthday and somehow, being 30 years old didn't feel as depressing and overwhelming as he had expected. Somehow, he felt like it was a perfect time to turn over a new leaf, and while his carefree tendencies were undoubtedly destined to stick around, it was time to grow up for good.

          There was also the fact that for once, he wasn't spending Valentine's Day alone. Well, perhaps there was no handsome devil by his side, but ever since he had left Los Angeles, Lucifer had been keenly staying in touch through letters, phone calls, (a fair share of dirty texts), gifts sent to wherever Benjamin happened to be staying at the time, and reminding him that he'd always be waiting for Benji to return. They could not hold one another or kiss or spend a lazy day in his fancy, million dollar sheets, but they could prove their affection and love in other ways, and surprisingly, Lucifer turned out to be the more soft, loving man in their evolving relationship.

          Biting on his lower lip and reading through old text messages, Benjamin was standing in a slowly moving line and using his free hand to twirl on the silver chain hanging around his neck — adorned with a ring that Lucifer had sent in time for the man's birthday, without further explanation what was the meaning behind it — when the screen suddenly lit up with a goofy picture of Benji's favorite redhead. As Izzy Holt's name blinked in front of his eyes, he broke into a wide grin and quickly picked up the call.