4

Alfie had been away for a total of two days. 

Tow long, tedious, days with the boys squabbling over who was in charge.

Elijah, being the oldest believed himself.
Joshua, because he'd promised his father.

These two I could predict would be ambitious later in life, especially once they get wind of their inheritance. I just prayed they wouldn't end up like the Shelby scum.

"Boys!" I breathe harshly through fatigue and pain. The baby growing impatient in its own little world- I hoped the little bugga would hold on for another day at least.
Rebekah was currently drawing at the kitchen table and the boys had brought in a worm from the night fallen garden and were chasing each other around the pantry with it.

"It's just a worm, Josh," Rebekah quietly said as she scribbled along in her own little world. Elijah taking the opportunity to throw said worm at his sister across the room. She just blinked at it as it landed with a plop on the paper in front of her.

"Elijah!" It came out more of a hiss as another small contraction flared across my stomach.

Silently, Rebekah picked up the worm and took it outside in the late evening air. The boys staring at her in disbelief. The both of them astounded at the fact that she had more balls then either of them. My little princess.

After she returned and I asked all three of them to wash their hands; the children suddenly calming down once they noticed their mother wasn't her usual composed self.

"Should I call father?" Elijah asked innocently. I hesitated a little before nodding my head. I only did a brief nod before I heard him make the call. It wasn't long after Elijah's return that I heard the whisper of the front door creep open. Too brash for it to be anything else but someone strolling in that wasn't Alfie.

Bailey was instantly charging into the hall with loud growls escaping his snout. I heard a scuffle begin as I presume Bailey had attacked.

Turning to the three innocents I put a finger to my lips to signal the quiet game as we had practised. Quietly, I opened one of the kitchen cupboards under the bench which had purposefully been left empty to squeeze the three children in. Smiling at them I shut the door and grabbed the large, loaded, gun from under the sink before taking a seat at the table.

The gun was rested and aimed at the hallway for the intruder to enter the pathway after a heard a loud squeal and thud from Bailey. Another of my friends fallen to a war no one wanted to partake in.

I knew the impending labour that would indefinitely arrive as soon as the recoil off this beast shudders through my body in a few moments.

Bailey being overpowered told me there was also numerous intruders.

I watched calmly as the shadows mixed within each other in the dark hallway as the group of people edged closer and closer.

I saw a foot appear before the body and fired the gun. The loud bang and harsh recoil causing my water to break instantly as I rocked on the kitchen chair.

"Fück me!"
"Bloody hell!"
I heard from the other side of the pellet splatted doorframe that leads into the hallway. The person about to cross the threshold had jumped back behind the wall.

As a sharp labour pain tore through my body I fired again, a grunt  escaping my clenched teeth. If I wasn't carrying one of Alfie's buns I could have ran over there and spooned their eyes out their heads like egg yolks.