"Do you trust them . . . about us?"

"Yes. They work for me, part of the package deal when Augustus hired me. Louis is the only one technically on the Chilvati payroll, although you don't have to worry about him, either. He's a good guy, trustworthy." He smiled a little. "Louis has worked for the family for a long time. He's my eyes and ears when it comes to keeping up with what's going on out there. He knows a lot of whom we call 'the street guys.' In my position, you become a little disconnected from those people."

Abruptly, his gaze grew distant. "Louis has seen his share of shit," he muttered. Then he closed his eyes and seemed to shake off wherever his mind had taken him. "He doesn't live here by the way. He is happily married to a woman named Rosie. He'll never admit it, but she's the real reason he became a chauffeur. She didn't want him on the street anymore. You'd like her."

Virginia could tell he had deep feelings for Louis and his wife. She had a hard time picturing Louis in any role other than the one he had now. Certainly not as a street-hardened criminal. "He seems very nice. Rosie is a lucky lady."

Mark grabbed her hand and held it as he continued on. She couldn't help but feel she was getting the PG version of a story rated R for violence. But she didn't want to think about that.

Once the men had finished eating, Bruce and Steve reappeared and went straight to the bar. The voices of Adam and Ben drifted from the office, their laughter and conversation dulled to a soft drone out in the living room.

Minutes later Lily walked along the hall in her coat, ready to leave. "I took some steaks out of the freezer for tomorrow, Mr. Spinelli. If you don't use them, I'll make something with them on Monday."

"Sounds good, Lily," Mark called over his shoulder as he escorted Janine to the television in the corner. "Have a wonderful weekend."

"Goodnight, Lily," came from Bruce and Steve in unison, leading to each giving the other a playful shove.

"Goodnight, boys. Goodnight, Miss Virginia."

The sarcastic cough coming from behind the bar didn't go unnoticed by Virginia. "Goodnight, Lily," she called out before crossing her arms and turning to face Bruce.

Mark was preoccupied with Janine in the corner, unaware of the current confrontation. Bruce peered back at her over his glass as he sipped his drink.

"Dude, what's your problem?" Steve asked him.

Bruce turned on him, raising his brows. "Miss Virginia?"

"That's her name, isn't it?"

"It sounds like she's in a beauty pageant." Bruce guffawed.

Steve threw Virginia an apologetic glance before taking the bait. "What's so funny about that?"

Bruce laid on the drama, choking on his drink again before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Give me a break. For one, she is too old."

That wasn't an insult, although it was plainly meant to be. Virginia had no interest whatsoever in beauty pageants, but Bruce's attitude was getting under her skin. And even though she appreciated Steve coming to her defense, she was perfectly capable of handling a man like Bruce.

"Anything else, Bruce?" She drew out his name, now that she knew it.

Mr. Obnoxious ignored her. With all his attention still on his brother, he spread his arms wide and added, "And what would her talent be?" His next comment was a low mutter, likely only meant for Steve's ears. "Besides sleeping with your boss."

Tired of being talked about as if she weren't there, she all but shouted, "I've got a pretty good talent for getting past security, whether it be tight . . . or mediocre."