Chapter 33

The trip back was a bit slow but that was due to how the many wounded and fear we had collected would slow us down but while it took about a day to get back to Minakonai, it was okay as the Date were likely not going to attack anytime soon since we repulsed them so well.

I was holding up Katsuie as both of us were leaning on one another still from the battle but as we approached the town that surrounded the Anno Clans small castle on its hill, we could see the many villagers all around trying to crowd one another to see us. I can imagine that if I was to ask for volunteers from here if the Anno Clan didn't take everyone that that I'd easily might get a dozen men under me if not more.

Still, we soon passed into the city and as we did so, many of us were showered with flowers and other things as the Anno Ashigaru were cheering to those around them.

As we came to the center of the town, Lord Anno was waiting with some of his retainers as he seemed to have recently come from either recruiting other or his own battle but then again it was likely getting men under his banner and he bowed to us as we bowed back.

"Bloody Handed and General Katsuie... I thank you for halting the Dates advances into our territory..." Said Lord Anno as he sat up in the stirrups of his horse.

"And for that, please take rest here with your men and recuperate from the fight." Said the Lord.

And both myself and Katsuie bowed and as the Lord Anno soon went past us, I nodded to my company leaders as I then began to try and get Katsuie up to an inn where we could actually recuperate from a fight without having to worry about another battle.

And thus, we soon were within an inn as I managed to pay for me and her stay and as I helped her to her room, I chuckled suddenly to her and Katsuie looked at me as she then asked, "What's with the chuckle?"

"I never expected to be able to live from such a battle that was so against us... to think 100 men could anger so many so easily." I told her as then I came to her room.

"I can imagine that you'll be very known now by doing both your original mission and helping me with mine." Said Katsuie as I put her on her bed.

I simply gave a small smile as then I left her in her room as then I went to mine as I knew both our armies would likely be able to handle themselves on their own for one night. Well, at least that was the hope but then again I was pretty sure that after our two amazing victories that they would behave themselves and not getting into much trouble.

And so as I came to the door where I would stay, I then slowly opened it and closed it behind me as I got myself prepared for a good nights rest.

When the morning came up over the horizon, myself and Katsuie were off to get back to the Oda capital. The trip back would be a bit long but we were planning to make a few good stops for more men as well as supplies before finally reaching the Oda capital.

And thus, as I lead my troops from the front fully rested and fed and after getting more supplies with actual variety other than rice, I watched as Katsuie and her forces marched ahead of us as the black and yellow sashimono fluttered from the backs of ashigaru.

But as I glanced between my forces and her forces, I then wondered if by chance we would come back this way to attack the Date in their territories before they could attack us again. It made logically sound sense since if you especially knew the enemy couldn't get anymore men together for another large army, you should attack them in their territory and put them on their back foot.

Likely we would find out when we reached the capital. But as we walked along, suddenly I heard a bird swoop over my head and I instinctively ducked as everyone else plus myself looked up to see a messenger falcon fly around back to me and as I managed not to shirk from it this time, it did have a really painful grip when it landed on my shoulder as it screeched and looked around me.