His Buddy

Sunlight filtered in through the kitchen windows of Azriel's apartment, glinting off of the stacked plates and silverware by the sink. Sticky honey dripped from the tines of the forks, catching the light like beads of amber.

Elain shuffled around the kitchen counter, going back and forth between tending to her new leafy houseplant and brewing more tea. Her golden-brown hair was pulled back and swirled into a haphazard bun, wisps brushing against her cheek much like the shadows of a certain Spymaster did every night. The corners of her lips pulled up slightly as she ran her fingertips along one of the dark green leaves.

The footsteps were silent, but her smile only grew as she sensed his approach. Only the slight rustle of leather made her lift her gaze to Azriel, who leaned against the counter. "Is it time for you to go?" she wondered out loud.

The spymaster simply inclined his head before reaching out. His hands—his beautiful hands—gently caressed the back of hers before bringing them up to his lips. Elain couldn't resist the rush of warmth that crept up her neck as his lips brushed against her knuckles despite their frequent occurrence. "It'll only be for two days, love."

Elain hummed quietly. "Then you best be on your way." Quickly, she stood on the tip of her toes and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Now go before you're late. I'm expecting you to be home no later than two days."

"I'm never late," he replied, a slight smirk tugging at his lips. He pressed one more kiss to her forehead before walking to the balcony doors. Just as he was about to stretch out his wings and take flight, Elian's voice rang through the apartment.

"Wait!" Rushed footsteps patted up to him, and Elain was slightly breathless as she held up a dark scabbard. "You almost forgot your buddy."

Indeed, it was Truth-teller that sat across the palms of her hands, the hilt shining.
Azriel released a sigh of relief. Taking it and strapping it to his leathers, he asked, "What would I do without you?"

"You'd be late and have forgotten your prized weapon," she replied smugly. "Now go."
Shooting her one last grin, he spread his wings and pushed up into the sky.

A/N: What do you guys think? This was my very first Elriel fic, so naturally it was a quick little drabble that I wrote at midnight haha. Don't forget to vote and comment and ideas you have!