One » The Falcon

Start from the beginning

Letting out another roar, Han rolled his eyes at the remarks his best friend was making as he manned his side of the panel on the Falcon. His son was far too much like him—look wise and characteristic wise—except his son had much darker hair and a skin full of beauty marks and freckles.

Looking over his shoulder, Ben grinned over to Chewie. "I think it's the old man's fault that you two always got caught." Ben pointed his thumb while covering the side of his mouth with one hand.

"This old man can hear you perfectly fine, kid." Han bitterly spoke as Ben chuckled, giving Chewie a wink before turning back ahead to help his father. Shaking his head, Chewie leaned back in his seat as Ben jumped to light-speed before putting the ship on auto-pilot.

"I'm just messing with you, old man." Ben shrugged before sitting back in his seat, crossing his arms behind his head as the sleeves of his off-white tunic hugged his biceps.

Sighing, Han lifted his focus up to the window, eyeing the streaks of blue and white that passed them by. "Kid, we've got to talk." He breathed, Ben's dark eyebrows instantly furrowing as his smile dropped, he was suddenly feeling uneasy. Whenever Han said we've got to talk, it was always serious and nothing good.

"W- What about?" Ben stuttered as he lowered his arms, looking over at Han.

Hearing his sons change of tone, Han rolled his eyes. "Oh, relax, it's nothing bad." Han waved a hand as Ben let out a sigh in relief. "My time has come... I hate to say it, but, things come to an end and I know your mother misses me a whole lot. I don't get to see her all that often and I feel terrible for it."

"Alright... What's happening?" Ben questioned. 

"Kid, I think it's time I hand over the Falcon to you. I cant keep smuggling forever, not when I have a wife at home... not when I'm sadly getting old. And definitely not when I have a son who could carry on my legacy and do it better." Han admitted as he turned to face his bandit.

"H- Hand over?" Ben stuttered again, heart skipping a beat as Han nodded.

"I can't say I'm officially retiring, I know I never will. I'll join you here and there, but, it's all on you now. It's your job to keep this old ship running. To take good care of her. She is your responsibility now... as well as your prized possession." Seeing Ben's eyes widen as he stayed silent, Han sighed. "You are officially the captain of this ship."

Staring blankly at his father, lips lightly parted, Han's eyebrows narrowed. Ben was not one to be quiet, he was very expressive and very loud—much like his mother. It was odd to see him this quiet. But, maybe Ben wasn't ready for it, maybe he thought it was too soon and that's why he- "OH, YES!" -I stand corrected, Han thought as his eyebrows lifted. "YES!" Ben jumped out of his seat. "This is a dream come true! I've dreamt for so long about this! I thought it would happen when I was 40! But 15 years earlier is a whole lot better!"

Eyeing his son jump in excitement, Han shook his head. "Okay, okay, relax."

"Thank you, thank you!" Ben nodded eagerly before grabbing his father's face and smacking a kiss against his forehead.

"Okay, Ben, calm down..." Han said, grabbing Ben's hands before he stood up.

"I won't fail you, old man. I promise you that." Ben spoke confidentially with a toothy grin, the indents of his dimples showing deeply.

"I know you won't, kiddo." Han grinned before pulling his beloved son into a tight embrace. "You never do." Letting out a small roar of a cheer, Chewie stood up and joined the two in a hug.

Returning to the Resistance base and landing the Falcon, the three men were greeted by a familiar face—a mother, a wife, and a friend—the general herself, Leia Organa.