CHAPTER THREE

Chapter Three

THE NEXT AFTERNOON, I stood in Odin’s office, making the most important argument of my life.

“I single-handedly took down that dark elf, not to mention the other twenty or so the three of us took out together. And at the same time, we uncovered the plot against the bloodline and informed you of the threat so you know to double your guards. Goddesses can be invaluable members of the combat team. I want to be a warrior.” I finished my case with a small bow and waited for Odin to promote me from the administrative position that would have already bored me to death if not for the whole immortal thing.

“I see. Anything else?” Odin raised the brow over his remaining eye. While I’d been talking, he hadn’t so much as shifted in his heavy leather chair. Instead, he’d sat stiller than the statue at the base of the Bifrost, with his heavy silver robes draped over his uncrossed legs and his weathered fingers calmly clasped in front of him. The rest of us embraced civilian wear, but Odin insisted on formal dress, always. And from his robes to his stare, nothing about him gave me the impression that I’d moved him at all.

“Well, in the event you aren’t swayed by the facts, which we both know you will be, I baked these cookies to change your mind.” I set the basket on his desk.

“Gingersnaps. My grandmother’s recipe.”

“Jens’ mother? That is a fine recipe.”

“I know.” I crossed my ankles and waited for the news I’d spent an eternity hoping to hear. Odin picked up a cookie and took a bite.

“Well done. These are wonderful.” He wiped the crumbs from his mouth with the napkin I handed him.

“Thanks. So how about it? When can I start?”

“When can you start what?” Odin reached for a second cookie, but I intercepted his hand.

“When can I start training as a warrior?”

“Oh, Inga,” Odin pushed past my hand and picked up another cookie, “I cannot let you do that.”

“Why? I proved I’m every bit as good in battle as Skadi, and you let her fight.”

“Skadi’s father is not my most trusted advisor.”

“So, this is about my father?” I blinked back angry tears. “He can’t run my life forever.”

“He is not running your life.” Odin’s voice was soft. “He runs mine. And I need him to continue doing so. Jens would never recover if anything were to happen to you, and I do not know where I would find another advisor with such an understanding of our people.”

“Fabulous.” I closed my eyes. “I can’t be a warrior because you don’t want to upset my dad?”

“I know it seems unfair--”

“It is unfair! Nothing bad would happen to me if you let me fight. I would be fine. Absolutely fine, just like I always am. I’m the best swordsman this realm’s ever seen.”

Odin set the cookie down. “I know you are.”

“No you don’t. If you did, you’d want me fighting for you. Helheim, you’d want me to be your personal bodyguard.” My outburst was out of character; I was usually much more reserved around Odin.

“I would love to have you fight for me. I know you are a better fighter than Skadi.”

“Really?” I crossed my arms.

“Yes. You are even tempered and calm where she is hot headed and insecure. She is going to get herself killed in her effort to prove her worth.”