Chapter 36: valentine's day part two: that's it, i'm going gay

We meet up directly after school at the karaoke place. It’s pretty empty, seeing as it’s not the most romantic joint in the world.

“How you guys doin’,” the owner asks.

“Pretty good,” says Haley. “Let me introduce you to everyone.” She points at the aging African American. “Guys, this is Uncle Harris. Uncle Harris, this is Corey and Spike and...” She goes through all of us and we shake hands with him.

“Well, you guys are quite a group. Why don’t you take one of the big party rooms?”

After a bit of karaoke, we leave and start milling around downtown. A lot of people are selling chocolates and hearts and I can’t help but want some of that brown, sugary goodness.

“Let’s go get some See’s Candy,” Janice says suddenly, tapping Matt’s arm.

“Why?” he asks jokingly. “Do you have a Valentine?”

“That’s for me to know and you to find out,” Jniace says evilly. We follow her into the store, picking up free samples while we’re there. Emmaleigh wraps her up in a napkin.

“For later,” she says with a smile. Even if she looks fine, I suddenly feel really guilty.

“Umm...let’s go,” Jessica says quickly, more or less pushing everyone out of the store.

Emmaleigh’s mouth opens in a frown, but she shuts it again.

We keep walking, looking through the half-empty stores, laughing at the enormous line at the florist’s.

“Look at that dweeb,” Janice laughs. “Who would be happy to get flowers from him?”

Haley looks more carefully and frowns.

“Isn’t that Steve?” Clarice asks.

“Let’s go,” Janice says quickly, dragging us into a nearby fast food place.

“Is he getting flowers for you?” Clarice asks joyously, wriggling her eyebrows. I share a glance with Matt.

“He better not be,” Janice snaps. “I hate flowers.” She turns to the man behind the counter. “Fries. An, yes, I would like fries with that.” We all bust up laughing.

We sit at a bunch of tables brought together outside. Spike and Clarice are directly in front of me. Jessica is on my left, sitting along the side of the table, and Emmaleigh is on my right. Janice and Matt are on her other side, with Haley and Trevor across from them.

We’re all chatting about something, but my attention is hooked by the bag of fries in the center of the table. Then, some time in the middle of the conversation, I see Emma’s hand tentatively snake out towards the fries. Without thinking, I move the bag a little to the left. Emmaleigh looks at me.

It was on reflex, I think, that made me do it. The instantaneous merging of all the books I’ve read telling me that potato=lots of sugar and the image of Emmaleigh’s insulin bag currently sitting in Matt’s car just combine into a single movement.

Emmaleigh reaches out to take a fry again and again I move the bag away. This time a little more sharply. This time, everyone stops and stares.

“What are you doing?” Emmaleigh asks quietly.

“I...I don’t think you should eat that right now.” I say, just as quietly. Around the table there’s silence as Emmaleigh nods and reaches into her purse for the napkin-wrapped chocolate. “Em, I don’t think--”