🌙☆Moon Girl☆🌙

"Yo Ronnie!" I shouted, slamming a 2 dollar bill and some change on the checkout counter.

Holding up a bag of licorice and an Arizona iced tea, I quickly added "I'm grabbin' these!"

I heard a scuffle in the back room and a muffled groan before he answered back with a "Alright!"

The gas station door 'dinged' when it opened and I stomped my way over to the beach. It was about a five minute walk from here, but I needed the exercise anyway.

'Haven't got anyone to look good for nowadays.' I thought to myself.

Gravel quickly turned to sand as I journeyed further onto the beach and my mood became more somber.

The moon, being exceptionally brighter tonight caught my attention and I looked upward, soaking in its silver glow.

I hear her before I see her when, in a melodic voice, she whispers "Hello my love."

I inhale a deep breath before letting it go in one, heavy burst, but I don't turn to face her, not yet.

There is a rustle in the bushes behind me as I stared at the moon's reflection on the water's surface, but I pay it no attention.

I strikes me then that the reflection, in all of it's shimmering glory, seems more beautiful to me than the moon itself.

She rests a hand on my shoulder, "What're you thinking about?"

Tears form in my eyes and I turn to face her.

It was those raven waves and emerald stars set against her pale skin that caught my attention the first time I saw her. She certainly was beautiful.

"You" I said.

A small, child-like giggle escaped from her lips and she smiled a smile that could light up the night sky.

"Here." I say, breaking the trance "I got your iced tea."

Clapping her hands together in a soft, giddy manner, she grabs a hold of the tea and sits down on the sand. I can hear the 'pop' of the can's tab lifting as I sit down next to her.

Suddenly, her smile fades and a serious expression casts a shadow on her face.

"This isn't right" she states.

I open the pack of licorice in my lap and pull out a red twizzler, biting off a piece.

"I know."

She is sad now, I can tell.

"Look." She begins "I know you miss me, but I need to move on as much as you do. You can't keep me here any longer".

No longer in the mood to eat, I set aside the package of twizzlers and fold my hands under my knees.

New tears are forming in both of our eyes, glossing them over.

"But ho-" I choke on my words as the tears run steadily down my face, my throat getting tight, "how?"

"Don't worry. I will help you along".

She lifts her fingers to my face and wipes away my tears, "Are you ready?"

'I have to be, for both our sakes.'

"Yes".