II.XX

Kaiyo didn't like it, but she wondered how Ian did it sometimes. Better yet, it sometimes looked like he wasn't acting; just enhancing a specific part of himself that could be best used to showcase to get what he wanted. She didn't like getting confused about him for that either.

     Ugh. Why do I even need to think about that jackass this early in the morning?

     Because you suck at keeping in character.

     Kaiyo rolled her eyes at herself. She fidgeted with the small box in her hand, listening to the chocolate balls inside rattle in their plastic container inside. She kept the box simple. All that was on the maroon exterior was a soft, purple ribbon. He'd probably shred any other decoration apart knowing the gift that was inside.

     She knew that it was a pointless assassination attempt, but it was better than anything that she'd ever done the entire months she'd been here already. Frankly, she had to hope that he wouldn't actually fall for it. That would only add insult to injury.

     She continued fidgeting with the box as she finally moved from her spot in front of the building and into the creaking hallways. She cringed at every little noise while shivering from the bitter breezes that slipped through the thin walls. Had it been that long since she'd fallen into the act for a full day? Maybe it was the new meds again. Kaiyo wasn't entirely sure why she was hesitant to fall back in to the act, to do as her job called her to do.

     Kaiyo saw that only a small few had arrived in class, and for the most part, they were the quiet ones that slept on their desks. Fortunately for her, the octopus was sitting at the front, silently reading a small book. She waved at him quietly and ushered him to come out of the classroom. He nodded and slithered out in the hall to her.

     Well. You're up now.

*

     "G-Good morning, Koro-Sensei!"

     "Good morning, Akako!" greeted the oc- Koro-Sensei. "Are you cold by chance? This is the first that I've seen you come so early."

     Akako was only a little cold. It should be the nervousness that was making her tremble slightly as she fumbled with the box behind her in the back. She was feeling hopeful in spite of her self-doubt and lack of confidence. "I- Well, just a little. But I'm sure that it'll warm up later."

     "It is the warmer season, fortunately! Now, is there something that you'd like to ask me about? More Japanese book suggestions? Or perhaps some small talk about certain people."

     "Actually," said Akako as she pulled out the box from behind her, "I was hoping that I'd give you this out of the blue. I was making sweets yesterday with my mom, and I thought that I'd give you some to show my appreciation for all you've done for us so far."

     It was true for the most part that she appreciated his efforts. She should think about giving him the good batches later on.

     "Wait- sweets?! Really?!"

     She handed the box into Koro-Sensei's awaiting tentacles, which excitedly curled around the small box like they could swallow it whole by themselves. Akako clasped her hands in front of her as she watched her teacher start to drool.

     "Yep! You can eat it anytime as long as you keep them nice and cold, and tell me how you like it, okay?"

     "Of course! I'll get to them right now-"

    And like that he zoomed off like she wasn't even there.

*

     And there he goes, hook-line-sinker.