I.II

Akako befriended so many of her classmates, and as surprising as that was for her on its own, she was beginning to think that she was becoming closer to some of them as well. She was still careful in regards to her relationship with others, but Kayano made it so easy. During the past few days, it seemed like Kayano and she were getting along really well; they talked a lot and hung out with each other almost all the time at school. Sometimes, Akako was afraid that she was a bit of a hindrance to Kayano when she always tried to find her way to the green-haired girl's side. But over and over again, she was reassured that it was okay.

     The plastic knife in Akako's hand slipped out into the open air. "It's okay! We can try again," said Kayano encouragingly as Akako sighed dismally. The smaller girl cheered her up readily.

     They were sparring together for P.E., and frankly even after a week, Akako still wasn't sure how she should feel about the whole situation. She didn't even want to think about what a huge pressure it was being the worst-case-scenario the government of all things had to save the entire Earth. And the fact that she had to kill someone to do that? Everything about the situation upset her enough for her not to want to think about it.

     But she supposed that having the others, especially Kayano, supporting her and each other helped. She thought that it was nice to be surrounded by friends.

     The smile on Kayano's face and her genuiness never once dropped throughout their entire sparring. Akako had never met someone who was so patient with her clumsiness, and she had so much appreciation simply for her new friend's presence.

     The bell from afar rang loudly, signifying the end of the period. Students shuffled around them to head back to the changing rooms, and far back were Akako and Kayano together.

     "Hey, Kayano?" The green-haired girl looked up at her curiously. "Um...can I ask you a serious question? Uh-you don't have to answer if you don't want to though, that's okay, too."

     She smiled at Akako. "No, it's okay! I'll be happy to answer it."

     "Oh, uh, okay, then," began Akako hesitantly. "I was wondering...what are- um..." Another thing that she appreciated about Kayano and much of her classmates: they were always patient whenever she tried to figure out her words correctly. "H-How do you feel about having to kill Koro-Sensei? And all the stuff about saving the world and stuff?"

     Kayano blinked at her. Akako guessed that her question seemed to surprise Kayano, and she wondered once again if she had asked a bad question. But Kayano answered before she could take it back frantically.

     "Well...I don't know honestly. You know, we have to save the world, so I guess it feels like we don't really have a choice. But honestly, I don't think I've minded after all this time," explained Kayano earnestly. "Killing Koro-Sensei's really difficult, and sometimes it's just frustrating when it comes to failing at assassination attempts. But I think that's what makes us motivated to kill him. It's actually kind of fun to be in his class because of it."

     "Even though you guys seem to really like him?"

     Akako noticed something flash in Kayano's eyes, but it was gone so quickly, she didn't make any note of it when Kayano started talking again. "That...does make it a little complicated, but—Oh, be careful there!"

     Akako flinched at her sudden exclamation and when she felt Kayano's hand wrap around her forearm. The taller girl was confused until she saw what it was that Kayano was pointing at down on the ground. Her foot was just about to step on this small, yellow dandelion growing weakly from a narrow crack on the ground. Kayano had just stopped her from stepping on it.