Instead I’m moving as one. No split legs.

I look down to see an emerald green tail attached to my body where my legs used to be. I scream as I go under again.

I kick with the strange, yet familiar, tail I have and I reach the surface.

My mother stands by the shore smiling pleased with herself.

I swim over using kicking using my tail and I reach a rock. I get a hold on it but I unfortunately fall and get a deep cut in my right hand.

I start to bleed, but all I care about is getting out of the water.

I reach for the rock yet again pulling myself up on it. My tail is a lot heavier than I would ever have thought it could be but I use my strength to pull myself on it.

I sit down and stare at my tail.

It’s a beautiful green color like I admired from before.

It’s smooth and scaly, and I can’t help but be afraid of it, of me!

What was I? Some type of mutated creature?

No I couldn’t be was never tested on.

My mother walked over to me again. I scooted away to the other side of the rock and glared at her.

“Don’t look at me like that Lydia. Your father told me it was the easiest way for it to happen.” She says bluntly looking at me with a look of disgust.

My mother loved me and all but she had a tendency of treating me like dirt sometimes. I was brought up to be a genius, which I was, but she also treated me like her college students which was both fair and unfair.

Fair because even at the age of four I understood all of the “complicated” things she talked about with her college students, but unfair because I was an outsider to kids my age.

Wait my father? Is that what she said?

“My father? What does he have to do with this?” I asked her.

“He was one of you too.”

“What am I?” I questioned.

“Lydia, you and your father are mermaids.” She said.

“And you hate me for it?”

“No I don’t hate you it’s just that I’m not fond of the idea of raising a mermaid.”

My tail started to feel tingly again. Then it started to burn and it hurt.

My tail grew back into two legs with black shorts on. My top had changed too. I guess I’ll always change into black shorts and a green tank top after I turn.

“Why did you have me then if you knew what the outcome was?”

“Because your father needed someone to have a child with and I was an option.”

“So do you meet with him often?”

“Once a week actually.”

“What?! And you never told me?”

“Lydia don’t raise your voice at me!” she scolded.

“Why can I turn back into human then?”

“Because since I’m a human and your father is a mermaid your half and half.”

“Oh joy.” I said sarcastically. Bad move.

My mother slapped me and scolded me yet again.

Tears didn’t well up, they never did. I was like my father like that, strong and brave and tough.