Chapter XLIII: I Propose, I Propose Not

Start from the beginning

Congratulations on your recent coronation, and my sincere condolences on the passing of your father. I am certain he will continue to live on in the hearts and minds of many in our great nation.

I would have thought your father's demise would have instilled some sort of compassion in you, but clearly, I was mistaken. The fact that you had my dear cousin, Bertrand of Auvenge, executed in cold blood only serves to prove that you still remain the same heartless witch who tried to drive Nick and Jules apart for all of their lives..

I do not believe, even for a second, that he tried to dishonour you. In all the years I have known him, he has always been courteous to everyone he meets, and holds a healthy respect for women. You, on the other hand, have been nothing but a liar, a cheat and a troublemaker all these years.

Nevertheless, I must say, I am impressed. Despite everything you have done to them, you still have my son and his wife eating out of the palm of your hand. They have been spending these past few days defending you to me, to the Council - to everyone who will listen.

I, however, am no fool.

I do not know what you are scheming now, but know this: I will do everything in my power to stop it. In the meanwhile, you will be punished for having Bertrand tried and executed without my knowledge. You neither had the right, nor the authority to.

King Frederick V of Monrique

I calmly rolled the scroll back when I finished reading the acrid letter. "How long?"

Robert's forehead creased. "What do you mean?"

"When is the army coming for me, Robert?" I asked quietly, "how long do I have before I am arrested?"

"As of now, the King has not issued any orders for your arrest," his frown deepened, as he pondered, "but..."

"But?"

"I am not going to lie to you. His Majesty is grieving for Bertrand - and he is very, very angry. He, the Crown Prince and Ma'am have been having arguing everyday about your part in his execution," he put it bluntly, "the only thing that is preventing His Majesty from having you arrested right now is Ma'am's insistence. She is currently carrying the heir of Monrique, and the King does not wish to do anything to upset her at this critical time."

I bit my lip. Oh, Jules -

"But," he sighed, "Ma'am is due to deliver her child any day now. It is my opinion - as well as of several other Captains in the army - that His Majesty will order your arrest when she goes into labour, so that neither she nor her husband can stop him."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "I suppose I will have to go to Bordeux before the army comes to Roche, then," I smiled faintly, "thank you for telling me. I already expected this, but now I feel a little more prepared for what is to come."

Robert's countenance was utterly solemn. "What can I do for you?" he asked me quietly, "you need only say the word. If it is in my power, it will be done immediately. If it is not, I will take a little longer - but it will be done, I can promise you that."

"You have done enough for me in this lifetime, Robert, and I will remain forever grateful to you for it," I assured him, before my voice hardened, "but from hereinforth, I will do whatever that needs to be done."

I will fight my own battles.

At that moment, I heard the front gates open, creaking loudly in the process, and Clara's cheerful voice floated through the small opening in the window. Robert and I turned towards the window together, and watched her as she strolled towards the courtyard, chatting animatedly with the Cook.