Chapter 8

All Penny could talk about was this mysterious stranger. I found it strange that instead of mocking her and trying to wind her up, John was getting more and more uncomfortable "Would you ever shut up about yer man! Maybe the reason you havn't seen him since is because he doesn't like you" Penny stared at him, looking hurt and upset and angry all at the same time. I knew the feeling. I watched him, surprised. This so wasn't like John. "Calm down ya? She's allowed dream(!)" This seemed to rouse Penny, and the subject was dropped.

I suppose, at the time I should have guessed. I'm sure you have. The way at first John was teasing, but quickly became fed up was so out of character. How Penny was in love with a man she couldn't name.

I overheard them talking as I hung the clothes out to dry. John seemed on edge "This is some fantasy you've made up in your head,Pen. I've never said anything of the sort to you" "But John, I love you! She turned you away for weeks! It didn't even take ten seconds for me to forgive you!" "Which shows you have no sense" There was a pause, then. I stood outside, horrified. How many friends were going to betray me? My best, closest friends. I remembered then, that old saying. Those who loved you the most, could hurt you the most.

I leaned against the door. It opened, to reveal Penny, her arms around John's waist. Kissing him. They leapt apart when they saw me. Before I knew what was happening I was running, tearing through the briers and the bushes. To the lake. I ripped my shoes off, plunged my feet into the water, and cried for what felt like the hundredth time that month.

I stayed away all night. John must have known where I was. This was our place. Where some of the best memories I had had taken place. As well as some of the worst.

*****************

"Sinéad you rogue!!! I'm goin to git ya!!" I giggled happily and raced around the river bank, determined not to fall into my now soaked sister's clutches. "If you ever pull me in again I'll kill you!!!" Gráine caught me easily, scooping me up and tickling me mercilessly. She was 6 years older than me, Aoife only 1. But Aoife wasn't allowed to come and play. She had the fever, and was in decline. But Gráine and I tried to keep those thoughts out of our heads. "When will Da be back Gráine?" She set me down, and busied herself picking flowers "I dunno love. He has almost earned enough money to buy the house, so we won't have to pay rent anymore. But he's very far away, so it'll take a long time to get back"

A strangled cry drew our attention away from Dad. We looked at each other, and then pelted back up to the house. Mam was wailing. Aoife lay limp and lifeless in bed. Gráine rushed to Mam's side, and held her tightly. I stood for a moment, in the doorway. Aoife's face was pale and wan. There were large purple circles under her hazel eyes. They were glazed over now. Slowly, I turned around, and ran and ran and ran.

******************

I have never forgotten that cry. It will stay with me forever. Not long after Aoife's death, we lost Gráine  too. Dad sent Ma and me the money that allowed us to buy the house. But he never came home.

Dawn. A red sun rises. My eyes are swollen. I look at my reflection in the water. Where did the happy sunny girl go? In her place, there was a thin, worn down, wild looking slip of a thing. Pale, with purple circles under her hazel eyes. Just like Aoife.

Friends are important in everyone's life. That's what I used to think. I knew better now. But I also knew what John had said to Penny " Some fantasy" "No sense". Maybe I had better hear him out this time.

       ************************************************************************************

So? Do you think she's weak?? And Penny!!! :0 what a beotch!! I really wana know what you think. Should she take him back?? That is Emma Roberts as Gráine :D

*TEASER- do the gaurds come a calling???