Chapter 7

A week passed where not one word passed between us. John ploughed the fields and planted new crops, Penny and I washed, cooked and cleaned. I had eventually been forced to tell Penny what was going on, and she supported me fully, though she talked to both of us to make sure all decisions  were communicated. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. At night, John would sit by the fire and watch me. My heart yearned for him. He was a part of me. But then I'd remember what he did.And I'd find the strength to keep my head down.

Thoughts of him filled my dreams. Memories of our life together. He had always made me feel safe. I had kept him around. That must mean I wanted to see him, deep down. The truth was, that I was still utterly and completely in love with him.

I brought him out a glass of milk that day. I watched him for a moment, sweat on his brow, back strained as he turned over the soil. I smiled to myself "You never were much good at that, you know" He leapt almost a foot in the air. I collapsed laughing on the ground. "God it's good to see you laughing again" He bent down to help me up. I looked up into his brown eyes "What, even if it's at your own expense?" "Whatever it takes" he replied.

We spent that evening reminiscing about the good old days. i sat with my head in his lap. He twisted a lock of my hair around his finger. "Remember our first day of  school?" "Aye, you ripped the back of my dress when we played football" " Well you did a foul tackle!" I turned around, grinning from ear to ear "Hey, just because I'm better than you-" I got a belt for that. "OW!!" He jumped out of my reach, and we raced home through the fields.

So John was part of my life again. I can't say I was sorry. He promised me that he wouldn't meet up with "the lads" again. He knew how much pain it caused. We were like a family once more. John, Penny and I. Our time apart had made us stronger, and I was more in love with him then ever before. Penny talked constantly about a mysterious stranger from the market. "He so strong and so handsome. Oh Sin. I'm in love!" John grinned over at her "I know the feeling"

How much can somebody forgive? John had risked many innocent lives. But his intentions had been good. He was just a reckless person. I felt that God had tested my love for John with that fire. And he was going to test it again.

********************************************

That is McKenzie Foy as young Sinéad. I think it's the closest version of her to the one in my head <3