chapter 3

The light was fading as we returned home. Our conversation had turned, yet again, to the O'Donnels. "They dont care about us Sin, and you know it" "They look after us John. they take care of us" "Says thier lady's maid" I stopped then and glared at him. I hated when he was like that. "I am proud of my job. It pays good money, I have somewhere to live and honestly, I enjoy it. You shouldnt take a job for granted" Jobs were few and far between those days. Many people couldn't afford to look after thier own. "Do you know how he treats the tennants? He's evicted half of them Sinéad! He does not care for us! Dont try to tell me he does!" He was ranting now, pacing. I love his passion, but I feel like he should just be happy with his lot. "You're telling me your not happy with this life?"  "Of course not! Why, are you?"  "I am. I'm happy. Especially...when I'm with you. But clearly, you dont feel the same so..." We sat for a minute, in the uncomfortable silence. I held my breath...and prayed to God for John to speak, to laugh, to run away. Just to react. He took my hand. I looked up. His brown eyes were full of sadness "Of course I feel that way Sin. You know I do. there's no one I lo...love more than you. But isn't there any job you'd rather be doing?" My mind lingered on his hand touching mine, Him telling me he loved me." I dont think so. I'm paid well and enjoy my work. What more could I want?" He grinned then, smile dazzling me for a moment, hopped up on the wall and cried in his best impression of Lady O'Donnel, "But Sinéad, darling, would you not rather work in the theatre?!" I chuckled, and we raced back up the lane, dancing and singing under the swaying trees.

It happened that night.

**********************************

Thats Elizabeth McGovern as Lady O'Donnel :D