What Have I Gotten Myself Into

Every demon has a mark on the back of their hand of a pentagram, that is something I knew I couldn't change, and since I was a child I was told angels had a similar mark, in the same place but theirs is of a cross. I used to laugh at this, saying I'd never need to know any of it. But many years later I wish I had paid closer attention.

I had decided I could go to the mortal world, maybe cause a bit of chaos when I saw her. She was looking at the fake flowers set up for the upcoming Valentines day, at the time I didn't see her hand, both of us were wearing gloves due to the cold weather of Michigan in February. It was snowing lightly and her cheeks were slightly red. Her short blond hair decorated with a single blue ribbon, she was wearing a simple dark pink dress and a white coat, her green eyes fixed on the flowers as she had a bright warm smile.

I watched the girl until she decided on simple lilies, or more accurately, things that were supposed to look like lilies, and though they looked real I knew it was far too cold for most flowers. She walked away from the intimidating man who sold her the flowers and she walked into a coffee shop, which I followed behind her and after she ordered her drink and I ordered mine I walked up to her, she sat alone at a small table and I asked, "Can I sit with you?"

She finally looked up and saw me, and with a bright smile, "I'm Erika Vogel, what's your name?"

She looked at me, my deep blue eyes and nearly white blond hair, I was wearing a simple navy blue skirt and a jacket of the same color with grey sleeves and my black tights and black boots, "I'm Natalya Braginskaya, your accent, it sounds vaguely.... german," I said, smirking slightly.

"I'm from Liechtenstein." 

"I'm from Belarus, but I spent a lot of my life in Russia, it got quite cold there."

"I guess it would. It is known to be very cold there."

"My brother was born there, he and my sister always loved playing in the snow, I, on the other hand, wanted to stay inside with hot chocolate."

She giggled a little, and dear god it was adorable, she's so cute holy shit, "I have an older brother."

"My brother and sister are both older than me, I'm the youngest out of us."

We continued to talk about anything that came to mind, at first it was snow, then chocolate and then ice cream. Until finally I realized I had to go.

I looked at my clock and it read 7:00 pm. My brother had said to be home no later than 7:30 since he was making dinner, "I apologize but  must go, I told my brother I'd be home soon."

I turned to walk away but she said, "Wait!"

She pulled out a marker, and grabbed a napkin, she quickly wrote something down and folded up the napkin and handed it to me, her cheeks red.

I gave her a small smile and walked away, I had little time to look at it. I went up to the roof, I could make it to where no one could see me unless they were an angel or demon, I unfolded my wings and I flew home as quickly as possible. 

I got home 13 minutes late, not that my brother noticed, Ivan was in the kitchen, cooking something I couldn't see, I saw Katyusha in the living room near the fire, I sat next to her and pulled out the napkin.

On it was a phone number, I smiled and put it back in my pocket, sure to call Erika later.

"What's got you so smiley, I hardly see you smile," Kat asked, smiling herself.

"I met a girl while out, she was sweet, and she gave me her phone number."

"Be careful with the humans dear, we all know one day they'll all die."

I nodded, yes I was fully aware I'd outlive mostly anyone, but I was known to take stupid risks like that. Once I met a boy, he was nice, a little annoying but he was smart and had a big heart, his eyes were the brightest shade of blue and his hair was blond with a stray cowlick, we were best friends, one day I had to explain why I never aged past 17, slowly I watched him grow old and pass, I refused to talk to anyone for over a month. But somehow I thought maybe Erika was different.

Later that night I called her, after only a few rings she picked up, "Hello?"

"Hi, it's Natalya, we met earlier at the coffee shop."

"Oh Natalya, I was about to ask before you left if you wanted to go and get coffee soon." She said in a cheerful tone.

"I'd love to," I was glad we were on a phone, she couldn't see my face turn a shade of red.

"Oh, wonderful, how about tomorrow at noon?"

I nodded, then remember this was a phone call and couldn't see me, "Yeah, that'd be great."

"Ok, well I have to go to bed soon, good night."

"Night," I said quietly. Then we hung up and I plopped onto my bed.

Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?