9

Beyoncé

I knew something was off about Shawn when he asked if I could cut my visit short with my mom. I badly needed to be out the house, but I'm sure he has a good reason why he wants me home early.

"Hey babe. Had a good time?" Shawn greeted me. He kissed my cheek and took Corey out of his stroller.

"Yes. It felt so good to not be cooped up in this house!" I said.

"Bey, you know if you feel like you're getting all of the responsibilities on you, I will do more." He said.

"I should've took that back. I didn't mean it like that Shawn. I'm just....I don't know. Lemme change Corey's diaper." Before Shawn could offer to do it, I took my baby and went up the stairs to his nursery.

Shawn

Once Beyoncé took Corey from me, I placed the stroller in its rightful place and went to the nursery. I sat down in our matching rocking chairs.

"Bey, I wanted to talk to you about something kinda serious so can you please sit down?" I asked. She looked at me questionably, but sat down.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Shawn, seriously. I don't know, the ceiling?" Beyonce said. Smart ass.

"I'm serious Beyonce. How are you feeling? About the baby, being back on a tight schedule for Corey, I wanna know." I searched her eyes, and for the first time since Corey arrived, I noticed her emptiness.

"Honestly, I don't know how to express my feelings without coming across as a terrible mother. I'm just not picking up on things I was natural with before." She said.

I listened.

"For God's sake I didn't even walk into Yara's room to check on her. Is she even here?" Beyonce bursted out in tears and all I could do was just hold her.

"I think you may have postpartum depression and before you get any ideas, it's very common and you're not a bad mother for feeling the way you do." I said.

"I think I should try to go talk to Yara right now." She tried to get up but I stopped her because she's not in the best condition right now.

"Don't worry right now. I already talked to her and she understands a little bit, but you need to focus on yourself. I think we should go see a doctor about this & let Yara spend a few days at Jennifer's." I said. She nodded and stood up to look at Corey, sleeping peacefully in his crib.

"I think Imma take a bath and head to bed early." Beyoncé said after awhile. She kissed me and stood up to head to our room.

After watching Corey for a bit, I called Jenn to see if she could take Yara for a bit and luckily she's back from shooting her movie and happily agreed.

I went to lock up the house & headed to my office to wrap up some things.

*2 days later*
Doctor's office

Beyoncé

Shawn got my appointment together with my doctor to see if I have the symptoms of postpartum depression. He didn't know if I wanted him inside the room or not, but honestly if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have had the courage to admit something's not right with me.

"So welcome you two. Mr. Carter, we briefly spoke over the phone about why you two are here, but could you elaborate more?" Dr. Clayton said.

Shawn held my hand as he began speaking.

"Well I noticed that Beyonce wasn't as attentive to her oldest daughter, Yara, now that we have the new baby. She hardly sleeps because she's always checking up on the baby to see if he's breathing properly, and kinda just second guesses her motherly instincts." He said.

"Do you recognize some of things he's saying?" Dr. Clayton asked me.

"Yes. Everything he's saying is true and I don't even know why I'm like this because I never experienced any of this with my daughter. I have so much anxiety now and it feels like I'm not connecting enough with the baby. I also feel guilty for not spending enough time with Yara, and Shawn told me she thinks I hate her." I said.

"It's perfectly common for mothers to not have the same experience with their pregnancies no matter how many children they already have, and I think once we get you healthier again, you'll have to talk to your daughter about what's happening." Dr. Clayton said. She started to take out a prescription pad from her desk.

"Postpartum depression is a chemical imbalance and taking the first step of acknowledging you might have it is already a step into the right direction. I'm going to prescribe you a low dosage of antidepressants to see if it helps, and in a few weeks I want to schedule you back to see your progress." Dr. Clayton explained.

I took the prescription and me and Shawn shook her hands to leave.

I made an appointment for the top of next month and we headed to pick up my medicine. I already knew Jenn was coming later today to pick up Yara, so I gotta talk to my baby to tell her what's going on with me.

******COMMENT, VOTE******