Chapter Ten

I did not intend for the damage to be so severe, nor did I predict Sutherland to become violently furious at the interruption in our travel.

“I specifically instructed you to inspect every inch of the coach before our departure!” he roared at his coachman. I flinched instinctively at his harsh words, knowing that it was not the coachman’s fault.

“Apologies my lord, I must’ve not seen it.” The coachman stared down at his feet, head bowed in appeasement.

“Well, get on with the repairs. The boy and I will ride on ahead and wait at the first inn.”

I looked at Sutherland with surprise and albeit some dismay. Did he truly mean to push on? His set jaw and determined attitude implied that he did indeed mean to arrive in London as fast as possible.

Just as I was about to question his motives of continuing our travel, he called to Harry. “You there, bring the horses.” Harry and another groomsman unfastened the tethered horses and led them to Sutherland. He took hold of the reins from the groomsman and mounted in a blink of an eye, not waiting a second before he took to the road and began the long ride.

I stood for a brief second before I scrambled to mount my own horse, receiving a pitying nod from Harry. As I mounted, I looked up to find that Sutherland had all but disappeared from sight down the trodden path. Sighing, I urged my own horse to a canter and attempted to catch up with him.

Riding up alongside Sutherland, he slowed the pace and we continued riding in silence. His foul mood was still apparent, and my questions went unanswered. I occupied my thoughts by watching as the surrounding countryside slowly passed, straining my vision to notice the slightest movement amongst the forage. When that ceased to interest me, I turned my thoughts inward and pondered over my predicament.

I could not imagine how I would survive living in such proximity to Sutherland or encountering a previous acquaintance that might recognize me. At his country estate, I was able to go out and do as I pleased, without having to worry that I might be recognized. Although I was aware that men of the ton participated in certain activities that did not condone the presence of ladies, I was unaware as to what exactly occurred at their clubs.

My uncertain role in Sutherland’s household instilled a sense of apprehension that I could not rid from my thoughts. How would he explain my presence? Why was I required to accompany him to London when I could have very well remained and worked in the stables?

The interminable brooding silence and the frantic feeling my thoughts induced compelled me to rummage through my thoughts for some topic of conversation.

However, the arrival of an unmarked horse and carriage approaching from behind rescued Sutherland from my meaningless chatter.

“Lord Sutherland!” a female voice shouted from the interior of the carriage. I cringed at the thought of who it might be, though it did not sound like Abigail, it could have very well been her mother.

Sutherland reined his horse to a halt, as did I, as we awaited the inhabitants of the carriage to approach. I prayed that it would not be her, for I feared I would not be able to hold my tongue this morning.

As it came closer, I witnessed a sudden change in the hardened expression on Sutherland’s face. It became one of relief.

“Westover,” he greeted as the window of the conveyance came flush with the stirrup of his mount. Ah, so the woman’s voice must have been that of his wife.

“Sutherland, I am surprised to find you here. I thought by this time you would be farther along in your travels.” Sutherland’s jaw visibly clenched at Westover’s comment.