Chapter Twenty-two

Yay! New chapter. Hope y'all like it. Sorry it's been so long—this past semester has been a little rough, so I'm hoping to finish this off before I start again next month. Happy holidays to you all!

He cleared his throat several times before I surmised that he would not leave before I acknowledged his presence. I squared my shoulders and plastered a nonchalant look upon my face before turning to brave whatever it was he had to say to me.

"My lord," I greeted coolly. He nodded in response, ignoring the elicited stares from the gossip mongers surrounding the refreshment table. They waited, eager to hear whatever it was he had to say to such an unimportant member of the party.

"Miss Kathryn," he began, and around us I heard collective gasps and the immediate hushed tones of whispering. "Please allow me to escort you to Lady Allenwyk, as she wishes your presence," he finished. I thought for a moment to simply deny the request, however, I concluded it would not be wise to anger her. I acquiesced and replaced my glass on the table before taking his proffered arm. As he escorted me across the room, I was quite aware of the blatant glares aimed at my person from every marriageable young lady at the party as well as their mommas, who grumbled amongst themselves. It was not as if they had a thing to be jealous of, for he was merely completing a task set forth upon him by his mother.

In fact, it was not as if he had asked my hand for a dance. So why was it then that they all stared after me enviously? I truly did not even wish to be in his presence at the moment, and would have gladly given any one of them my coveted position upon Sutherland's arm. I was only slightly relieved when we arrived at our destination, where he none too quickly deposited me in the care of his mother.

"That is not how I told the maid to dress your coiffure," she said without preamble. I cringed inwardly at her bird-like glower, but knew that I could not have her berate the maid for something so trite.

 "My lady, it was my fault that she did not follow your instructions. You see, I was so very late in dressing that she did not have adequate time to arrange my hair lest I should be late to the ball." She appeared to accept that explanation, however not before instructing me on proper decorum in the timing of dressing, readying for balls, and the like. I listened to her words without much heed, for I truly believed that she spoke for the sake of merely hearing her own voice.

 After a few moments of standing, rather disenchanted by the company I currently held, I moved to excuse myself. In spite of my quiet and unassuming attempt, I was stalled by the arrival of another guest to our party. I faced away from the newcomer, but froze in place as she spoke to Lady Allenwyk.

 "Fanny, dear, where is that bumpkin of a ward you so complained about earlier. I cannot seem to spot her anywhere on this blasted crowded ballroom."

 Dear Lord! Could it be? I remained rooted in place, the nagging claws of fear scratching their way to the surface. I suddenly found it difficult to breathe despite my lack of a corset. I clenched and unclenched the gloved hands at my sides, knowing there would be crescent-shaped marks decorating my palms by the end of this night.

 "Georgianna!" the viscountess exclaimed, "Watch your tongue. The chit is right here before your eyes." Seeing that I had not yet turned for the introduction, she shifted her attention to me. "Kathryn, this is the Countess of Wilmington. Lady Wilmington, may I present my ward, Miss Kathryn."

 I remained facing away from my grandmother, knowing that she, of all people, would at once recognize me. However before I knew it, Lady Allenwyk had made her way to my side and led me straight to the countess, to my own kin. As I finally raised my eyes to meet hers, I met with a look of recognition, which immediately transformed into a look of utter shock.