chapter 3

chapter 3

The orphanage was horrible. The girls were catty, the boys were rude, everyone stared at Nevaeh constantly, I hated it. I had to help shower Nevaeh every time. One time after Nevaeh had her tablets and had gone to bed I heard girls on the bed next to ours, calling us lesbians and her a freak. I couldn’t take hearing it. I got out of bed and went over to the girls and tried to get them to stop, but all they did was laugh, I couldn’t help myself. I punched the closest one, right in the face, then I just ran. I ran out the door, to the street corner, I started crying, I couldn’t help myself.  I heard footsteps coming near where I was standing. I was still bawling my eyes out. My mum is dead. My dad killed himself cause I couldn’t help enough. Nevaeh stood there.

“Amelia, can you keep a secret.” I looked up at her.

“Why? What is it Nev?”

“I wasn’t really sleeping.” She said and looked at me.

“Awh Nev.” I said holding back tears

“You didn’t need to hit them Amelia. They didn’t deserve it.”

“Did you hear what they said? They called us lesbians, they called you a freak!”

“They don’t know us better though, now they are definitely going to hate us!”

I started to cry again.

“Stop crying Amelia! You look funny when you cry, and you’re a pretty girl, so keep being pretty and stop crying.”

I hate how much she’s grown up in here. I laughed while wiping away the tears and gave her a hug.

Weeks came after weeks, people looking to adopt a kid came in and out no one looked twice at Nevaeh. She needed a new home, it became second nature now to yell at the kids who talked about Nev. More often than not I got into fights about it too. Never when Nevaeh was around.

One week a tall blonde lady came in, and we were forced to stand in a line. I stood next to Nevaeh and grabbed her hand. The lady looked to be around 50, which wasn’t surprising, there was usually a lot of 50 year olds, I just figured its when they stopped trying or just can’t be bothered finding that guy. The lady walked up and down the line several times, looking more vapid each time she came past. She slowed down in front of me and looked down at me.

“What is your name young lady?” she said sounding malicious and scary.

“Amelia Wilson.”

“Come with me.”

“Is that an option or an order miss?”

“Attitude, lovely, I suggest you lose it by the time you get up to the office!”

I lost all say in the matter, I stood there in front of the desk, feeling smaller than ever.

“Amelia, I am willing to adopt you on the condition that you behave and loose the attitude, now go pack your bags.” She ordered.

“Miss, I have my own conditions to be followed. The girl that was standing next to me was my baby sister, she has down syndrome and needs out of this place more than anyone else in the world. Medication doesn’t cost much and I can take her to and from hospitals and doctors. I don’t go with you unless she does.”

“Hmm, I see your point. Bring her in.”

I ran back to Nevaeh and dragged her in.

“What’s your name?” the lady I’d known as miss asked her.

“Its Nevaeh, its spelt heaven backwards, what’s yours?”

“My name is Eloise Bartell,  I am the CEO and designer of black rose clothing line.”

“Wait do you make black roses or clothes, I’m confused.”

“your just a delightful little girl aren’t you, get your bags I’m taking both of you.” I smiled and hugged Nevaeh.

“No, I think we should wait for dad  so dad knows where we are when he comes to get us.” Nevaeh said.

“Excuse me, your father isn’t coming to get you?” Miss Bartell said.

“Yes he is, we’re only here because dad left for a holiday and was too excited to tell us, Amelia told me!”

Miss Bartell looked at me.

I didn’t know what to do or say.

“Is this true Amelia?”

“He may have just moved there long time Nev and forgot to tell us.” I said to Nevaeh

“Wait, you mean to tell me, she doesn’t know about her fathers death.”

“Dad isn’t dead. He’s just not here! He’s coming back, don’t say doubt that Amelia.” Nevaeh was shouting now.

“Nevaeh lets just go pack our bags, we’ll stay with her instead of here, here is a bad place.”

“Amelia is dad coming back?” she shouted.

“Nevaeh, let’s go!”

“Is he Amelia?”

“He died Nevaeh.”

She cried. She didn’t talk to me, for the rest of the ride to our new place I was about to call home. She didn’t stop crying, she didn’t look at me, she didn’t talk to Miss Bartell either, she just nodded and sat in the bed we had to share. Miss Bartell was only expecting one kid to return so until she brought another bed we had to share or sleep on the floor. Our new room was big, it was pink, it was nothing like my old room. It had posters of a girl that looked like barbie all over the walls.

This place was amazing, It was three stories. Dad would’ve hated this place, he thought more then one story was just showing off.