chapter 1

Hey, this is just a  book I had to write for english, not sure about the start but leave comments :)

************************************************************************  

When I was a little my mother always told me to always follow my heart and to do whatever it takes to accomplish my goals and never set the bar too high. I was ten when she died from an overdose of whatever she was taking, things were tough for us, but she always took it the worst. My sister Nevaeh was four, she didn’t know what was going on and probably doesn’t remember mum like I do, lucky for her.

There was nothing wrong with mum, she just stopped acting like she used to after Nevaeh was born. Nevaeh was born with down syndrome, we were always in and out of hospitals and she was always sick from something. That’s when mum started going out late for hours and coming home smelling rotten and not knowing what was going on. So in turn dad and I had to take care of her. It wasn’t much work at first, it was just cleaning her up and changing nappies.

After mum died it became so much more.  Dad wasn’t in the right state to take care of us. One night when I was in year seven I walked Nevaeh home from her special school and when we got home dad wasn’t there. The next day I got up and made Nevaeh a sandwich and used five dollars from my birthday money to buy her a chocolate bar on the way to school, I wanted to spend some time with her before I took her to school, so instead I walker her to the park, she was off like a bullet as soon as we got there. I just sat for hours watching her, she was happy, she didn’t let anything hold her back, then I finally took her to school and sign her in late.

I remember the office lady asked why she was so late, I told her I had to make Nev a sandwich before school. Then she asked a billion questions about dad and why didn’t he do it, she didn’t mention mum, I guess everyone in this town was close, she probably heard it off a neighbours friends brother or something, word never stayed still in this town. I told the office lady dad didn’t come home last night and he wasn’t here in the morning, she didn’t let me leave after that.

That night me and Nev slept in an orphanage, they never told me where we were going, we just got told to get in the car, and we did. They didn’t tell us what was going on until the next morning, and even then I only heard another lady tell her co-worker the news that made the world stop spinning. Dad committed suicide. I didn’t have time to be sad, as soon as we got there we had people come in interviewing us. We were put up for adoption, like cats. I didn’t know how to break the news to Nevaeh, so I just told her what I thought was best, dad is having a holiday and forgot to tell us because he was so excited.