Chapter Three

"Excuse me, what?"

"I want to help," He repeating finally releasing her shoulder, "I want to help you get into the Potioneers of... sorry, what was it again?"

"Dam-oh-cleese, it rhymes with please leave me alone!" She said, although judging from his face, both of them knew it wasn't true, "Damocles is one of the best potioneers of our generation, he invented the Wolfsbane potions and was one of Slughorn's favourite. He came to visit a few years back which is why Frank started it. Anyway, I'm getting off topic, the point is... NO!"

"No?" He asked, "But I want to help you make it up to them!"

"You sabotaged me in front of them, this was a once in a year chance and now it will never come again!"

"To be fair, I didn't know who they were otherwise I wouldn't have done it," He shrugged, "It was very bad timing and it was just a little joke. I also didn't think you'd try and bluff your way out of it, that was funny - "

At this, she rolled her eyes, turning away from him and strutting away, hearing him slowly run up behind her again, "Okay, sorry, that was uncalled for. Please let me help you?"

"And why is that?" She asked, "How do I know this isn't just some elaborate ruse to get back at me for blanking you, huh?"

"Well, it's not."

"Right," She snorted, folding her arms.

"It's not, I'm serious," He said, his face suddenly curving into a smile, "Okay, I'm James actually... get it?"

"I do," She replied, giving him a wry smile, "I'm just not smiling. Why should I trust you?"

"Tell you what," He said, "If I cock up, I'll drink a vial of living death."

"As much as that does sound fun," She replied dryly, "I don't really want blood on my hands because you messed up. Just give me a simple answer about why you want to help me so badly?"

"Well... I don't know," He shrugged, his cheeks flushing slightly, "I guess I feel kind of bad, I thought you'd find it funny and maybe... talk to me again. And I kind of want access to the potions cupboard so I can steal Gillyweed and make people into fish men."

"You know Gillyweed doesn't actually turn people into fish men, it just adds gills and makes your feet and hands kind of flipper like," She replied.

"Yeah, fish men!" He shook his head slightly, "But do you get it now? I do want to help, I swear on Padfoot's life. You don't look convinced," He continued, cocking his head to the side slightly, "Would it help if I said... I'm like Sir Potter and I have to be truthful and noble whenever I see a Damsel in Distress?"

At this, Lily's nostrils flared as she jumped back slightly, her eyes narrowing, "That makes it worse. I mean, yeah, I guess I am kind of like the Damsel in Distress except for the fact that it's not the damn 1300s anymore and I can do this myself, Potter. You know what, screw you, I have red hair, I'm the Dragon and the Dragon burns you so enjoy being... burned!"

"Sorry," He said quickly, "I thought it would ease the tension."

"Well, it multiplied it by ten," She huffed, "And the worse part is, whilst I am still very mad at you, I kind of understand your motivation. You, James Potter, are an opportunist and this is just another big chance for you to further your pranks."

"Yep," He replied, "That's the only reason, forget what I said about the talking to me again, that was just a lie. It's about the pranks."

"Right, I don't care," She replied, feeling like a complete fool because she was actually starting to consider it. Whilst Potter was an irritating prick, he did seem to have the ability to charm people with his arrogant ramblings and when he put effort into something, he really tried. Just by looking at his face, she could see there was an annoying sincerity to him: he genuinely wanted to help her.

Her mother once told her there was a fine line between love and hate and whilst she didn't exactly believe that, there was a fine line between enemies and distrustful allies. There was no reason she couldn't cross it for the sake of business, as long as it was strictly regulated to make sure he didn't get cosy.

"Fine," She said at last, finally breaking the awkward silence.

"Wait, what? Did Lily Evans just agree to do something with me?"

"Yes but don't make it a big deal," She replied, "It's not, it's just business and begrudging business too. It will have rules and regulations, I might even write a contract if you're lucky."

"Lucky? I'll pass," He replied, "Just tell me the rules, a contract makes it too official."

"Okay, so I have the right to say no to everything if I don't like it. I guess you do too, but I feel like that won't happen. We can't do anything weird with polyjuice potion either, that's just weird. Oh and no hurting them."

"Evans! What do you think I am?" He asked, "Some kind of monster?"

"Little bit," She replied dryly, "Anyway, I think that's all, you're getting on my nerves right now."

"When shall we start our plan?"

"I don't know," She shrugged, "Maybe tomorrow? I might still be too angry but we shall see."

"Alright," He replied casually, "Well let me know. Oh and Evans? It was, um... nice talking to you again."

"I wish I could say the same," She replied, "But it has been barely bearable for me."

"Better than unbearable," He replied, suppressing a smile as he turned away and began to walk down the corridor. Although she was still a little confused by herself, the shame and regret she'd expected to feel for agreeing to partner with James didn't come and she decided to leave it.

Sturgis and Hestia seemed much a thousand times more shocked than she was and after recounting the tale at break, the two of them sat in silence for a good thirty seconds before Sturgis exploded.

"WHAT? LILY, WHAT?!"

"I agreed to let him help me," She replied with a shrug, "He seemed genuine and I guess if he offers help, I'm not one to turn it down."

"Unless it comes from him," Hestia said, "He's an arrogant prick, remember? He's been a dick to us in the past, solidarity!"

"It's not like we're going to be friends or anything," She replied.

"Well, you said before that you'd never get the chance to even begin joining the Potioneers of Damocles," Sturgis murmured, "And now look what's happened. I do feel sorry for you, you messed up in front of one of you platonic crushes, that must really suck for you."

"It does a bit," She admitted, "But I feel weirdly hopefully, you know? Besides, he thinks his plans through, maybe this will be half decent."

"Hm," Sturgis murmured, "If you say so."

Hestia still looked vaguely annoyed by the whole thing, "I still can't believe you're doing this. You went from blanking him, to acknowledging him, to talking to him and then you agreed to partner with him for something that means so much to you? I'm starting to think that potion you made altered personality because this is weird."

"Maybe the embarrassment numbed my senses," She suggested, "Either way, I think I'm going to go through with it. I mean what's the worst that could happen?"

"You could die, be pranked," Sturgis replied, beginning to list on his fingers, "He could make you look like an idiot."

"She asked for the worst," Hestia cut in.

"Oh, the worst!" Sturgis said, "Got it, you get vetoed for life from the Potioneers of Damocles."

"Damn it, Sturgis," Lily groaned, lying back in her chair, "Well, I'll risk it, I'm willing to try anything at this point, the reality of the situation has just hit me and I'm once again mortified. Besides, what's the worst could happen?"

Sturgis laughed slightly, "Famous last words, Lily, famous last words..."