Chapter 1 | Elevator Doors are Optional

Zacznij od początku

I didn't understand how this could be possible. Knowledge flooded my brain, telling me different facts about the world and how things worked. I couldn't remember a single conversation or even recognize a single face in my mind.

I knew what a TV was, but I couldn't recall ever watching one.

I knew what a house was, but I couldn't recall ever living in one.

I could list several various types of food, but I couldn't remember what they tasted like or if I even liked them.

There was nothing to call my own, nothing to cling onto for hope. I knew nothing.

The sadness of what seemed lost turned to anger that flushed throughout my body. I started to tug at the restraints pulling me down.

The restraints broke, releasing my arms from the leathery prison. I then started pulling at the wires on my arms.

One, two. I counted in my mind.

I pulled at the wires on my abdomen, ripping them off as quickly as I could. Three, four, five, six.

As I pulled them off, the screens around me started to flicker and then shut off.

I continue pulling off wires, and lastly I rip two wires off my head, each connected to one of my temples. The room became considerably darker when the last screen flickered off.

But then, a red light flashes above a door across the room. A beep echoes loudly, making me want to cover my ears. I stand, a chill running up my spine when my uncovered feet touch the paneled floor. I walk towards the table and picked up a long silver knife. I hold it to my eyes, admiring the sharpness of the blade. I then as quietly as I can slowly walk towards the door. My grey pants make a slight rubbing sound when my legs pass each other. I slowly place my hand on the doorknob twisting it to the right quietly.

The door creaks ever so slightly when I push it open. A long hallway with more red flashing lights and more white lit up panels greets me. I walk forward a few steps, pressing myself against the wall. I can hear footsteps scattering around, sliding because of the little friction on the ground.

As I hear the footsteps approach I take long deep breaths trying to stay calm. I see a flicker of movement in the corner of my eye and lunge forward, pressing the figure against the wall holding my knife to their throat. The silhouette in front of me starts to tremble.

"Where am I?" I yell gritting my teeth. My eyes narrow with anger towards the body pressed against the wall. I barely touch my knife to their neck, almost daring them to even breath.

"Please!" A woman's voice pleads, her voice choking from the knife against her throat. Her voice was soft, even with the terror her tone carried.

I can see her now. She's young, much younger than I expected. Her brown eyes were twinkling in the darkness, watering from the fear I had placed in her mind. Her dark blonde hair was messy, thrown into a quick tangled braid. A tear slid down her cheek. Her mouth was open, and I could feel her warm breath against my anger driven face. The fear in her eyes made my anger slip away. The empty feeling in my mind changed to sorrow. My jaw loosened from its tight grip, my eyes softened from their angry gaze. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath until I released her, taking a step back.