twelve - change the world

chapter xii.
(   age of ultron   )

nothing ever
lasts forever,
everybody wants
to rule the world
everybody wants to rule the world ─── lorde

nothing everlasts forever,everybody wantsto rule the worldeverybody wants to rule the world ─── lorde

new avengers facility, upstate new york
may 28, 2015

"Stark."

My eyes slowly trail up from my sketch and my lips purse as I recognize that there is only one person I really know who would call me specifically by my last name. I swivel around in my chair so that I can see Nick Fury standing in my bedroom doorway of the new Avengers facility. I give the serious man a kind smile, folding my legs up on my desk chair as he stands in his ever black uniform. I don't necessarily expect him to return such a smile, but what concerns me is the utter lack of any teasing or even his usual fondness that I see in his eyes.

Something's wrong.

My own smile slowly fades as I uneasily drum my finger against my inner thigh, "Hey."

He stares at me for a longer moment, looking just as he has ever since we first met four years ago. It's always as if he's studying me, searching for something that lies beneath my skin. Sometimes I just wish he'd tell me what it is he's looking for. Sometimes... I feel like everyone is searching for something within me. If they just told me what they wanted so badly, then maybe I could give it to them. Maybe I could finally satisfy them.

And maybe Nick Fury finds it. Maybe he doesn't. Either way, he lets out a quiet sigh and pulls a cream colored file out of his black jacket.

"I wasn't going to give this to you, Stark. I debated 'bout it for a long, long time." He shakes the file at me slightly and proceeds to sit down on the corner of my desk, peering down at me with his one eye, "But Romanoff thought you deserved the right to choose whether or not to look at this."

There's a small pause where the two of us stare at each other and a pit of dread wells up in my stomach.

Still, a sad and joking smile comes over my face, "Nick, I swear to the high heavens, if you're about to tell me I have another sibling out there..."

"Ah." He gives a nod, looking out my big bedroom window to the beautiful green landscape that stretches out beyond, "Well. That is not the case here."

I laugh a little, leaning back in my chair, "Thank God. I don't think I could take another shock like that."

He just gives another nod, not even daring to break a smile.

"Fury," my fingers rub against the metal of my thrusters and I shake my head, "what's in the file?"

He frowns down at the cream file still in his hands, but he doesn't exactly address my question, "People see you two certain ways, Stark. Some... They see you as a good, brave young woman who has fought all her life, readying to take on the reins of her father's company and change the world for the better. Just like her grandfather and father did before her."