The Demon's Return

Start from the beginning

The girl was aware her mother had to be a powerful foe back then. The powers of both sisters combined in one body. It was no wonder Chance lost his final fight - at least Alexis presumed he did because Gwendolyn still refused to talk about it.

"Chance Arlington," Alexis said. "Was he a powerful opponent?"

The girl was afraid Gwendolyn will turn secretive again, but to her surprise, she replied. "Yes, he was. Actually, he wasn't as powerful in a direct combat, but he could destroy you in other ways. He was sly and ruthless, always knew your weak spots and wasn't afraid to use them against you. I think there was some good in him after all, but once he decided that a person is his opponent, he pursured that person until they were either dead or completely destroyed."

"So he proclaimed you his enemy?"

Gwendolyn nodded. "I think it was nothing personal. Maybe he even didn't want to fight me. It was me who decided to interfere even though he sent me several warnings. But these only fanned my hate against him. If I could rethink my decision... maybe I wouldn't try to oppose him."

"I'm not here to question your decisions," Alexis replied.

"He clearly gave me a chance to back off." Gwendolyn continued. "But at that time, I was too selfish, too prideful. I only saw things black and white and I thought I would be some kind of hero who'll liberate the city from the opression of a deranged killer. But now I realize I did a disservice."

"Most people agree Arlington was a hero," Alexis said.

"Which makes me a villain of the story," Gwendolyn sighed.

"As you can already tell, I'm a huge bookworm," Alexis continued. "And I've already read many stories which don't have either heroes or villains, just people doing things they consider right. Look at me. What do you think I went through when I killed Marlene?"

"You are probably right," Gwendolyn admitted. "It's too late to think about things that can't be undone. We have to focus on the future. Chance Arlington is dead and will never return."

<<>>

Murders were rather common in Gabriel's Gardens, but every time Alyssa Lafayette was called to investigate one, she felt strange chills running down her spine. Even though she usually acted tough, she was a sensitive person at heart. Countless times, she just thought about all the people whose deaths she investigated. They all had their lives, hopes, problems, childhoods.

All of that was destroyed just someone else decided so. And Alyssa found it so unfair.

Who the hell gave them right to take away someone else's life for petty reasons such as money, revenge, different views about certain things.

Alyssa rarely regretted joining the police. She lived for the feeling when she sent an offender or a drug dealer behind the bars, finding a mischievous pleasure in their hate aimed against her. Saving life or arresting a criminal also increased her libido, which Melody already knew. But murders were a different story. She would prefer if she didn't have to investigate any, but it was her duty as the head of the police.

Every time Alyssa received a phone call in the dead of night, she knew something serious happened. And this was also the case. One of her most faithful coworkers told her about a dead body found in the Centre. She got up and proceeded to replace her nightgown with a police uniform.

"Oh, not again," Melody yowled, looking at her from the bed. "Call of duty, I guess?"

"I'd love to stay," Alyssa sighed, "but yes, call of duty."

Alyssa had to deal with guilt that was present inside her since she divorced her first wife because she neglected her for the favor of her work. After she started dating Melody, she tried to strictly separate her personal and work life, but sometimes, it was simply inevitable.