Life Follows Death

It had been hours since Rex and Ahsoka shared their first kiss, and even longer before Master Yoda and Obi-wan Kenobi showed up on Polis Massa. What Ahsoka didn't expect was to see Padme Amidala being rushed into a medical room.

"Master Kenobi, what is Senator Amidala doing here?" Ahsoka asked, clearly concerned. She realized Padme looked heavily pregnant.

"Padme is going into labor. Anakin accidentally sped up her pregnancy," Obi-wan explained.

"Wait, hold on a second. Is - is Anakin the father?!" Ahsoka gasped.

"Sadly yes. Anakin was apparently secretly married to Padme." Obi-wan answered sadly. He then suddenly looked at Captain Rex. He lunged toward Rex with his lightsaber drawn. Ahsoka ignited her lightsabers as well and blocked Obi-wan's strike that would have killed Rex.

"Wait Master! He's on our side! He didn't betray the Jedi, was the one who saved the two younglings that we got out of the temple! He removed his inhibitor chip when he found out that the order to betray the Jedi was ingrained in it!" Ahsoka exclaimed.

Obi-wan Kenobi deactivated his lightsaber and looked toward Rex. "Is this true Captain?"

"Yes, sir!" Rex replied, standing at attention and saluting the elder Jedi.

"Very well, then."

Senator Bail Organa came up behind Master Yoda and looked toward Padme. C3PO and R2-D2 followed in behind him. R2-D2 beeped a greeting to Ahsoka.

A floating medical droid came over to Obi-wan to inform his of Padme's current medical status.

"Medically, she's completely healthy. For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her," the droid informed.

Ahsoka placed her hand on her mouth and fought back tears. Rex placed a hand on her shoulder.

"She's dying?" Obi-wan asked, clearly dumbfounded.

"We don't know why, but she has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly, if we are to save the babies."

"Babies?" Bail Organa spoke up. "As in, more than one?"

"She's carrying twins," the droid stated.

Master Yoda sighed sadly and Obi-wan placed a hand on his beard in silent contemplation. The droid went back to Padme. She must have said something to the droid because it went back to Obi-wan.

"She would like if you would be by her side during the procedure," it informed Obi-wan.

"Of course." Obi-wan hurried over to Padme's side and she grabbed his hand.

Ahsoka walked up to the glass wall and silently prayed that the droid was wrong about Padme. She couldn't die now, right? Sadly, Ahsoka could feel the senator's strength fading. What had Anakin done to her?

Padme squeezed Obi-wan's hand tightly as she felt contractions wash over her. She let out a while of pain as she pushed as hard as she could. Tears spilled out of her eyes as she endured her pain. A few minutes of painful contractions and screams of agony later, Padme gave birth to a baby boy.

"Luke," Padme squeaked out. The droid that was helping Padme with the birthing process handed the infant to Obi-wan who took him gently from the droids arms. He then brought the baby down to Padme's face.

Padme smiled weakly before grimacing in pain as more contractions consumed her. A few screams passed and the droid revealed Luke's twin.

"It's a girl," Obi-wan informed the dying woman before him.