The Spawns | Chapter XXVIII -- Not With You

Start from the beginning

She started to walk again. I followed her. "I don't need your fucking insults," she hissed.

"No, I think you kinda do," I grabbed her arm to make her look at me, "I think you need to hear this."

Dakota pulled her arm out of my hand. "You think I need to hear AGAIN that someone doesn't like me? That I'm rude and not likeable. I know it. I fucking know it." She ran her hand through her hair. "What's the point trying to be anything else? Nobody wants me around. You think I don't know how unwelcomed I was at Cole's house. I know it. I could feel it before I even crossed the door."

I felt bad, because it was kind of true. But I also didn't feel that bad because she really wasn't helping her case. "Look, you won't win any brownies point if you act like a bitch when people expect you to act like a bitch," I pointed out.

"It's a whole lot easier though. And who cares, she's a big girl. She can handle it."

Even tipsy I could totally see it. The girl was way more screwed up than I had realized. Poor her. "But you're not just hurtful with Maika, you're hurtful with almost everyone. You even hurt Belly."

"Seriously, why the hell do you keep calling her Belly? Why does that girl have like, seven nicknames?" suddenly exclaimed.

I felt the need to explain. "Oh, sorry, yeah, I call her Belly because when my mother was pregnant with her she kept telling me she was in her belly, and so after she gave birth to her and my mother didn't have her belly anymore I kind of freaked out and asked "WHERE'S THE BELLY" and mom laughed and then they showed me Lilibeth and it sort of just stuck. She's my little belly. And don't you distract me! I was being observant and astute and all."

"Oh yeah, when you're telling me I'm hurtful," Dakota snorted.

"Well, it's kind of true," I told her, shrugging a little, like I was going all sorry-not-sorry.

"Whatever," she just replied. Very thought-out response.

"You can't argue with that. You're hurtful with most people." I narrowed my eyes a bit, realizing something. "For some reason, not with me though."

"Not with you," she repeated softly.

At this point, we had stopped walking and we were standing face to face on the sidewalk under the clear night sky. "Why's that?"

She took a step forward. "Why do you think?"

I blinked a couple of time. "Because of my stellar personality?"

She smiled a little. "Suuuure."

I still hadn't had my answer though. So I asked again. "Why do you feel that need to hurt everyone around you?"

"Why should they have it easy?"

"Not me though?"

"Not you..."

And just like that, she grabbed the back of my head and started to kiss me.

I kissed her back and I really wanted it to work out. I don't why I needed so desperately for this kiss to be something it really wasn't. Kissing her was like when Leia kissed Luke. You didn't know why at the moment, but you just knew it was wrong.

I was kissing her but it wasn't there. That spark, that little something. Something was missing.

Maybe I really was gay. Maybe I really needed to go kiss Cole.

I grabbed her shoulder and broke our kiss. "Wait, huh, wait."

Dakota huffed, running her hand through her hair. "Are you kidding me?"