Chapter 8

I got a 9.

I got a 9.

I got a 9.

That's what's spinning in my mind as my face was glued to the screen. Effie, Katniss, and my Prep team went clapping and cheering when they heard my score while Caesar Flickerman was preparing to say Kirsten's score. I was expecting it to be higher. If I die in the arena, I would like Kirsten to win.

"Excellent score, Alec!" Katniss says.

"And finally, Kirsten Tomlinson..." All eyes were glued to the screen.

"... With the score of ..." Here we go. Get a higher score than me! I plead.

"8" I was depressed, but mad at the gamemakers for giving her such a low score. Okay. Maybe her score isn't that low. But she would have got a higher score than me. I mean, have you seen her knife throwing skills? I wanna shoot an arrow on their face and threaten them to change Kirsten's score into a higher one.

We needed to get a high score. It will give us the advantage of scaring the other tributes. And when they get scared, they would wish we killed them earlier in the games. Great. I'm thinking like a career tribute now. Killing? Scaring? Intimidating? I sound merciless. But I couldn't care less about my actions, as long as I survive the game.

The sound of the screen turning off brought me back to reality. Little did I know that they are preparing for bed. Tomorrow would be the interviews. My ice suit back at the tribute parade has caught the attention of many. And I have the feeling that Cinna would like me to wear something related to ice again.

The interviewer, Caesar Flickerman loves to give nicknames to the tributes. Katniss told me that they nicknamed her "The Girl on Fire". It makes me think what she did to get a nickname like that. Was it because of her fiery personality?, stunning appearance? All this thinking has occupied my mind.

I get up to my room, and the coldness hitting my face. It has always been cold here. The cold doesn't bother me. It was like the cold never bothers me because I already am cold, and cruel. Once I got to my bed, I locked the door to prevent anyone from entering, it was like I take my privacy and personal space too serious.

I wonder what would be the arena. If it was an island, drinking water would be a problem. If it was a desert, water would also be a problem. An abandoned city, food would be a problem. You won't have a place to hide if the arena is a grassland. If it was a jungle, many creatures will harm you. I never got a chance to think of another one as I fell in a deep sleep, hoping to get this game over with.

*****

"This is what you'll wear for tonight" Cinna says, walking me to a mannequin wearing a black tuxedo with blue hints and a cyan vest. Looking pale would definitely look good with this outfit. I remember that I was 12 years old. It would look mature of me to wear something like this. But whatever I wear, I would. For the sake of sponsors.

"Looks simple" was all I said without even thinking. I didn't know what he would think of me. Ungrateful?

"That's what I want them to think of your outfit!" He answers with a look of belief. His designs are wonderful, especially the dresses he makes for girls. The only thing was he doesn't look amazed by his creations. I know the face he is making, the face when you got what you want but it's not complete. "Right now, you should practice on how to talk formal!"

*****

"Alec I don't know what to say!" Kirsten exclaims at my face. She is so nervous for tonight even though the interviews doesn't start in 2 hours. What was she supposed to be worried about? I'm the one who doesn't know how to speak formal! But right now, i'm practicing it.