Chapter Twenty Four Sara

Song for chapter

Never Say Never By The Fray

Sam's POV

She stands here in front of me, the one who left in my darkest moment and is now on my door step, bruised, banged up.Holding a baby that is as innocent as  her mother used to be.

"Sara don't go please" I beg on the floor of the bathroom watching my sister pack up her things.

"No Sam I can't Rocky wants to go away and  away isn't here" she says clearing out  the drawer. I sob into my bunched up knees.My stomach still aches from the razor cuts.

"Why would go on an adventure with a guy named Rocky" I say in between sobs.

"Because I love him and our parents don't support me anymore and neither do you so why should I stay" she shrugs zipping up her bag and setting it by the door. She walks over to me and bends down.

"But I need you here for me" She's leaving.Leaving me in this hell I call a life. I have been beaten to a pulp by everyone except her and now she's leaving.

"Sam I need to go, you can survive,ok? Your life isn't that bad he just raped you its not like he was trying to murder you" I sob as the words come out of her mouth. She using rape like it's a candy store something sweeter than it will ever be.

I stand up and wipe off my knees.I cross my arms and  rake a deep breath before saying "Fine you know what go on your 'away' trip or whatever the hell you call it but just remember" I pin her arms to the wall.

"As soon as you walk out of this house you can't come back, even if you come back on your hands and knees begging just like I did. I will slam the door in your face just like your about to do" I let off her hands and walk out the bathroom  walking and opening the front door.

"Your choice" I say trying not to break down.

She sniffles and walks towards me.Kissing my cheek before walking out of the door. I stand here for a moment thinking of her choice.She left and she is never coming back.I sink down my back pressed up against the door.  I might as well be dead.She was the only sister that actually understood me and now she's gone.

"Sam is that you?" she says pulling me into a half hug with one arm the other one holding  the baby. She steps back letting me take in her appearance. Her clothes ripped, her face crusted with mud.She has no baby bag or bag at all.She ran away but what is she running away from?

I help her inside and siting her down on the couch. I sit down next to her as she coos at the sleeping baby.I watch  for a minute taking in what's happening. The baby looks almost exactly like her, except instead of her natural red hair it's a dark shade of blonde.

"Do you want anything Sara?" I say shaky just sitting here. She looks over at me with red blood shot eyes filled with a mixture of sorrow and exhaustion. She lays the baby down unraveling the blanket that was swaddling her. She leans over and hugs my chest. She begins to cry and whimper holding me tightly and I begin to hold her back.

"I'm sorry Sam I know I don't deserve your help but I - I need it" I don't answer back but just hold her tight as if I don't she might float away.

She curls  up into a ball and pulls herself onto me tighter. I look down onto her ripped clothes and notice bruises everywhere. I push out of her grasp so she is looking up at me "Did Rocky hurt you ?". She sniffles and looks up at me nodding.

"I thought it was just a one time thing. He got home late one night and, I-I-I thought he was  just tired from work but he was drunk.H-he  slapped me but it only got worse each day never better.He never stopped" her voice is hoarse and in a whisper by the end.

"Did he hurt you sexually?" My voice squeaks. My mind still trying to figure out what the hell is going on.She sits up and out of my grasp, wiping her noise on her splotched sweatshirt. She nods slowly like she trying to hide it.

"That's why I ran away, he wasn't just hurting me he was trying to hurt the baby" I jaw clenched as I stood up .I grab the blanket from the back of the couch and wrap it around her.

I walk out of the living room and towards the kitchen.

"Ynna we have a-"

"Well I don't know what to think either.Me keep a secret, but shes my best friend she is gonna find out some how.Are you sure they weren't hers? Damn it why did this have to happen out of all things"