Chapter 21 - THE BALL! Part 2

Începe de la început

“Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom.”

Everyone started to shuffle around, and into the ballroom. Kol came and took my hand, leading me in. I turned in time to see Damon leading Elena – and Stefan looking on from afar, none to happy. I also saw Klaus leading Caroline – so that bitch was his date tonight. I hadn't really liked her before, but now, I decided I hated her.

We all got set up. I knew this dance – me and Klaus had danced it together several times. I just had to follow Kol's lead. The music started. It was “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran. I loved this song, and hummed softly as we danced. Kol smirked at me.

“So, I see your brothers didn't kill you when you got home last night?” he started, smirking. I giggled.

“No. They were a little upset, but they have promised to help me tame the beast within.” I said. He grinned.

“If that is what you want, and what will make you happy, you know I will do everything I can to help.” he said, pulling me closer. I smiled, and nodded.

“I know. And you don't know how much I appreciate it. We’ll have to talk to my brothers later, and see how they want to do this, and how you can help.” I said. He nodded.

“Time to switch partners. See you later.” he whispered in my ear. I laughed, then nodded. He twirled my away, and I landed in some more sturdy arms. I looked up into the grinning face of Elijah.

“Hello, Elizabeth.” he said. “You look stunning tonight.” I blushed.

“You don't look so bad yourself.” I replied, smiling. He smiled back, and we continued to dance in a comfortable silence. I noticed Elena leave the room with Stefan. Hmmm.

When it came time to switch partners again, he looked at me and smiled.

“I hope to see you again later on.” I smiled back and nodded, then I was twirled away. The next set of arms were familiar, and my heart skipped a beat when I looked up and saw it was Klaus who was smirking down at me.

“Hello, love.” he said, and I shot him a look.

“Don't.” I said.

“Don't what?” he questioned. I glared.

“You know what.”

“Actually, I have no idea what you mean.” he said, grinning at me.

“Fine. If you need it explained. First off, don't call me love.” I said.

“Whatever you say. Love.” he said, winking and smirking. I rolled my eyes, then continued.

“Also, don't act like you care about me...” I started to say, when he interrupted.

“I do care, love.” he said, still grinning. I glared and continued.

“...Don't act like you aren't here with someone else...” He interrupted again.

“Is someone jealous?” he asked, his smirk taking up his whole face. I glared, then sighed.

“...Don't act like you still love me and want to be with me. Because I know you don't. I was only ever a distraction anyway.” I whispered, looking anywhere but at him. I risked a peek and saw him frowning down at me.

“Elizabeth...” he started, but the song ended. I stepped away from his embrace.

“Thank you for the dance, Niklaus.” I said, then turned and walked away. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him still standing there, staring after me, and frowning. I watched as a new dance started and he was swallowed up in the dancers. I turned and walked into a secluded room, where I finally let a few tears escape.