Chapter 31 part 2 - How to Talk to Each Other

Start from the beginning

Aiden has to push people away. Maybe it's the loss of his parents. Maybe its just his personality, but for some reason he just can't admit that he needs, or even wants, anyone else.

If I want for him to hug me, I'll be waiting til hell freezes over, and it's not like I can swallow my pride long enough to do it, so we're kind of just wasting our time here.

I avoid eye contact with the spectators around us, equally as fascinated with our... inability to interact. I never knew two feet could feel like miles of separation.

"Well, I don't wanna rush you guys," Ethel starts, and I believe him with the way he's rubbing the back of his neck, almost afraid to speak. "All things in good time of course, but I'm just wondering if you guys ever plan on—"

"Ethel."

That's exactly how Aiden says his name. Flat. Harsh. Unforgiving. I stare between the two of them.

Ethel pales. "Um..." He clears his throat. "Yes, Aiden?"

From my perspective, Aiden doesn't really do anything. He's not exactly looking at Ethel like he's his favorite guy in the world, but his expression doesn't change at all. He just stares at him, but something about the way he does it—or maybe something said in mindlink—sends Ethel flinching thirty feet back.

Aiden wastes no time looking at the others, and they all make themselves scarce immediately. Axel, Carson, and Onai take a few steps back and pretend to talk about some kind of pressing information. Carson alone looks like he could be discussing the fate of the universe, but I hear the words "ice cream" and "let's skip econ" more than once, to which Axel vigorously nods along with Onai.

Are they serious?

I just shake my head and look back at Aiden. What should I say to him? Where do I start? I cross my arms, thinking. "About the bed thing..." I sure hope Michael can't hear this. I talk even lower. "I didn't mean—"

"You don't need to explain yourself," he says. "I already understand."

I raise an eyebrow. "You do?" He probably doesn't. It's probably some crazy ass conclusion.

He nods. "You prefer Carson and Axel."

You see? What did I say? "I've already said I don't prefer any of you."

"In situations like that, you do."

"And what situations would those be, Aiden?" I rub my forehead, forcefully. I thought we were past this.

"Domestic ones."

"You're gonna have to be a bit more clear," I say.

He turns away from me. "Forget it."

I feel like banging my head against the car. "Would you just spit it out already?" I scream.

The "spectators" jump, except Axel who whispers, "All right, I'll spit it out. But don't expect me to be grateful."

I should've known he couldn't resist an opportunity for a Harry Potter reference.

HONK HONK

"For the love of god, my baby brother's got more game than this," Michael screams from the car, lowering the window haphazardly. He glares at us with the fury of someone who's been waiting for too damn long. We all know the feeling. "What are we, in pre-k?" he asks. "Just hug each other and get it over with. Jesus Christ. Back in my day we knew how to..." He keeps complaining even as he starts to raise the window again.

"If he keeps yelling at Aiden like that, I'm more than ready to accept him into the family." Carson has a big ol' smirk on his face.

Aiden narrows his eyes at all of us, but especially me. "Fine, you want to know why I'm so upset?"