Chapter 31 (pt 1) - Work for It

Start from the beginning

Onai gives him the most disgusted look ever before grabbing his arm and dragging him towards me.

Ethel looks horrified, kicking and screaming. "I thought we were running away!"

When Onai reaches us, he all but throws Ethel in the crossfire before walking into it himself. "Stop it you three." Onai crosses his arms, standing firmly. "You're acting like fools." He looks at Michael.

"Me?" Michael asks. "You think I started this?"

"Yes, you need to calm down." Onai glares at him.

Michael scoffs.

Onai doesn't stop. "They're not going to just let you take their imprint—"

"My sister," Michael corrects.

Onai sighs. "Your sister anywhere without them, so you're just exacerbating her condition." He turns to Axel and Carson. "And you two should know better than this. She's still sick. You could cause another—"

Carson glowers down at him with them most ominous aura in existence. Even I want to move away. He says calmly, quietly, painstakingly slowly, "You've got some nerve, Onai, talking to me like that right now."

The look on Onai's face is priceless. He looks up at Carson like Ethel looked at me. Horrified.

Carson smirks, but it's not humorous at all. He looks pissed off. "You're really lecturing me about my mate when you can't seem to stay away from her?"

Onai doesn't say anything. He's smart. He knows that anything that comes out of his mouth would just be more nails in his coffin. I feel bad. This is kind of my fault.

Michael starts giving Onai the side eye. "Hmm... Interesting. You know, I thought there was something between you two at the house." He glances between Onai and me.

Time stops. He did not just say that. Ethel and Axel look at Onai like he's a dead man.

Onai's eyes shoot to Michael. He grabs the front of Michael's jacket and glares down at him, managing to scream, "How could you?" right before Carson grabs ahold of him.

Or at least tries to, because Aiden gets in the way first.

Onai wastes no time backing away with Ethel close beside him.

Aiden glances at Carson, unamused. "This has gone on long enough." He moves closer to Michael and grabs ahold of me.

Michael moves back. "You better get your hands off her if you know what's good for you."

"I'm not taking her," Aiden says, and true to his word, he sets me down immediately on my own two feet.

I look up at him, but he's looking straight at Michael. "This situation is very strange," he says, never breaking eye contact with him. "You have every right to be concerned for the safety of your sister, and under normal circumstances, I would respect that and leave."

"But?" Michael asks, already anticipating it.

Aiden nods, reluctantly. "But she's sick right now, so we're not going anywhere."

"That's fine," Michael says, grabbing my arm. "We're the ones leaving."

I see something in Aiden's eyes right before Axel gets in the way. "Listen." He's holding both of his brothers back as Michael continues to back away. Axel doesn't look at him while he speaks. He looks straight at me. "Michael, I know you don't understand the imprint bond, but everything in us right now is screaming for us not to leave her. The more you get in the way of that, the more..." He glances at Carson who's balling his hands into fists and Aiden who's glaring daggers. "Hostile we'll get."