Entangled in Ivy- Chapter 3

Consequences be damned, Brady was charging toward Ivy and James, and he was going to get some clarity on the situation. He wanted to know the true meaning of Ivy's relationship with James and he was not going to let it rest until he got to the bottom of things.

"Brady, can I have a word with you?" the words came from ther ever imposing Daniel Brookhouse. The man was Brady's boss, the great grandson of the man who founded his company, and even though he wanted to chase after Ivy, he knew that his boss's needs came before his own.

"How can I help you, Brookhouse?" Brady asked attempting to look over his boss's shoulder to keep an eye on Ivy.

"Am I keeping you from something more important?" the man asked turning to see what had Brady's attention over his shoulder.

"Nothing important. How can I help you?" he lied before giving his full attention to his boss. Daniel Brookhouse was a few years older than Brady, and he'd been his mentor in college. He always looked up to the man with admiration. Daniel had even been the witness at the courthouse ceremony when he'd married Rebecca, but even though they were close, Brady knew that the man demanded a certain level of respect from him.

"I've got Prabal Patel considering moving his business to us. I need you to close him," Daniel said matter of factly.

"Aren't we supposed to be off of the clock? We aren't supposed to be working. This is a charity event," Brady said. He wanted to find Ivy before his wife started wondering where he'd gone.

"You and I both know the only reason we're here is to make deals. Go close Patel. I've got Sheila Braxton eating out of the palm of my hand, and her grandfather just left her a hefty endowment I would love to add to our portfolio," Daniel explained. Brady knew that all of his chances to talk with Ivy were long gone so he gave a heavy sigh as he nodded his compliance and set about finding Mr. Patel.

***

"Hey James, I need a favor," Ivy said taking the man by the arm and heading back toward the ballroom.

"What is it, Ivy?" James asked confused by Ivy's sudden closeness.

"Don't look behind us, but there is a man back there who I have led to believe that the two if us are friends," Ivy said, reflexively James went to turn to see who she was speaking of, but Ivy stopped him.

"I thought we were friends, Ivy. Would this man happen to be your married lover?" James asked trying to catch a glimpse of him, but Ivy prevented him from looking.

"I said not to look," she scolded as she led him back into the ballroom.

"I was just curious," James admitted, sheepishly.

"Curiosity killed the cat, James," said Ivy, pulling him into the ballroom.

"What was all of that about? If I have to play this game with you, at least let me know what our official story is," James said, once they were safely lost in the crowd.

"I lied and told someone that I have plans to hang out with you this weekend," said Ivy, moving in close to be heard over the crowded ballroom.

"Why would you do something like that? Are you trying to make your ex jealous?" He asked arching his brow at her accusatorially.

"He expressed some interest in seeing me this weekend and I told him that I was busy. He pushed for an explanation and I lied and told him that you and I have plans, so if anyone asks, we have plans," she explain. She knew that in spite of her explaination, she did enjoy shooting down Brady's offer and walking away with a man as handsome as James.

"Well, I think I can pencil you in for dinner and a movie this weekend," James said, his easy smile and humor was endearing to her, but she had to remember her declaration. She was done with men, especially men like him.

"I don't think that is such a good idea, James," Ivy said.

"I think it's a great idea. We're both young and attractive. I think that you and I can have a lot of fun together," James was pretty convincing as he turned on his best puppy dog face, but Ivy resisted still.

"I think it's best if I just spend the weekend alone. I am not looking for something more than a friendship right now. You seem like a nice guy, James, but I am taking a break from the dating pool," she said.

"Well, Ivy, if the two of us are going to be friends, I am going to have to insist on getting you out of the house then. I don't want you slipping back into bed with him if he turns up at your doorstep with a bottle of whiskey and a dozen roses, begging you to take him back," he was persistent, Ivy noted as he turned up his charm. Ivy could tell that a man like James had no problem closing business deals with his persuasive nature, but that same tenacity that drew her to Brady was in James, and it scared and excited her.

"I have to go check with a few vendors and greet some of my clients, but you have my number," Ivy said her goodbyes, not bothering to give the man a straight answer as she headed back to her duties at the party.

***

Brady arrived home long after the end of the event, and kicked off his shoes by the front door. His wife hated when he left his shoes by the door, but he didn't have enough energy left to do much more than pour himself a glass of Brandy and heave himself onto the couch with a sigh.

His boss had sent him on a mission to land Mr. Patel's business, and he had succeeded. After several hours of negotiations over expensive cocktails in a private club, the two men had come to an agreement that would surely make his boss happy, but it had cost him his chance to speak with Ivy.

Ivy looked so hurt when she saw him with his wife, and he wanted to kick himself for being the cause of the pain. But Brady needed to see Ivy. It had been months since she'd stopped answering his calls, and he could not bare to be apart from her any longer. Brady drug his hands over his face, letting out a groan of frustration. How had his life become so complicated? He loved his wife, but it did nothing to stop him from wanting to be with Ivy, too. He loved them both, and in spite of his initial plans to keep things strictly physical, his heart got involved.

When he first began seeing Ivy, things with her were thrilling and sexy. Brady had been involved in the occasional tryst while away on business over the years, but he had rules for himself. He never saw the same woman more than one time, and he especially avoided women who lived in the same city. Ivy had been the exception to this rule for him and over time, he grew to care for her deeply.

Brady felt a pang of guilt as he looked over his shoulder toward the bedroom where his wife was sleeping peacefully. He still loved Rebecca, but the two of them came from different worlds. He grew up with nothing, and built a life of prominence for himself, and Rebecca was born into the upper echelon, never wanting for anything. Ivy's early life resembled his own humble beginnings and Brady felt like he could be himself with her, and he was not ready to let go of that feeling.

Brady rose to pour himself another glass. He was determined to come up with a plan to win back his beloved Ivy. In hindsight, Brady was glad to have been stopped by his boss when he was going to confront Ivy and James. Brady gave away no hint that he was James' boss and mentor, and that was a fact that he was going to keep to himself for now. He was going to use James' friendship with Ivy to his advantage. James would be the eyes and ears he needed into her life, and the pawn he would use to get her back for good.