Chapter Twenty

Chapter 20

Aly plodded through the soft sand, limping slightly as she lugged her board under one arm. She hoped Cal wasn’t watching. Did God care about salvaging her dignity after Cal blew her off? Raine would say so, she was sure. She glanced over her shoulder.

Cal paddled to catch a wave.

He was in God’s hands now. Had she thought of God? Man, she was, like, channeling Raine. It wasn’t so much that she doubted God existed. Last count, she’d been to mass seven hundred and sixty eight times including weddings, funerals, and an odd Ash Wednesday service. But she’d long ago maxed out her sin allotment credit card.

Maybe she could start making payments—quit sex. No time like the present. She was single. And the only guy to tempt her was Cal. And he was over her. Totally.

#

Drew stood beside Rainey where she lay on the infirmary cot. Her lips parted slightly, and she was probably asleep already. She trusted him—enough to relax under his touch. That knowledge knifed its way into his gut. Her trust was a gift.

Touching Rainey was a stolen pleasure. No doubt, the headache was brought on by her concern for Cal. But at least he’d eased her pain and tension a little. There was a job he’d like for the rest of his life.

God?

Her dark hair spread across the pillow reminded him of the dream. And now he knew its silkiness, its flowery scent. The sleeve of her yellow blouse—the shirt from Cal’s portrait—peeked from under the flannel sheet. He turned away. 

#

Raine woke slowly in the late afternoon sun spilling through the partially open window. The emptiness of the institutional beige room seemed to climb inside her. Drew’s touch lingered, but he must have left the infirmary hours ago. Birds twittered in the coconut palms. She could see the fronds dance without moving her head.

She creaked into a sitting position. No pain.

Thank You.

Eddie’s text slithered back into her mind. She hated Eddie’s demands. He expected her to give him money whenever he asked. What was the alternative? Have Eddie cut off all relationship with her? Let whatever danger loomed over him, happen? She sighed with her whole body.

At five-thirty she crouched behind a bush within sight of the camp sign. Her hurried dinner sat like a stone in her stomach. She had to try to talk Eddie into rehab.

Please, God, let Eddie show by six. Drew expected her at campfire.

She heard the scuff of tennis shoes against the sandy dirt before she saw Eddie. He bent down to tie his shoe and peered furtively at the underside of the sign. He yanked the envelope from its hiding place and buried it in his pocket in one motion. He stood and strode toward the road.

“Wait! Eddie, it’s me.”

His eyes scanned the woods behind her, and then jumped back to her.

“I wanted to say I’m sorry—for last time I saw you.”

“Did you give me the money?”

She nodded. “I’m begging you. Think about Teen Challenge.”

“I read the brochure.”

“You did?”

He almost smiled. “You’ve slipped me, what, ten of them by now?”

“I’ve studied meth addiction. You can’t get off by yourself.”