"This is inevitable, isn't it?" I anticipated a scream, however, he is barely whispering, but he knows I can hear him perfectly. Pain flashes in his eyes, and I feel my heart shatter a little more, if it were even possible.

"It is inevitable." I confirm with a cry.

"Then don't hold back."

"I can never kill you. I will never be able to live with myself. I will never be able to live without you." More strangled sobs escape my lips, and finally, for once the burning desire pumping throughout my veins diminishes when I look at Zayn. I feel my love and the torturous pain I have for him, and nothing more.

"It is inevitable. One of us has to die, and I won't let it be you. Don't you think for just one second that I would be able to live without you. Why the fuck does it have to be you? I fucking love you!" Zayn shouts, pulling at his hair. He seems to be slipping away from sanity, but this situation is anything but sane.

"It's your prophecy, not mine! It is your prophecy to rid the world of the last living vampire. It is inevitable that I die, not you. I am not going to kill you!" I slam myself against the oak tree over and over again, trying to distract myself from the burning need to kill him, and from the painful feeling in my non-existent heart.

"I believe each person in this world has a prophecy in which they fulfill. And I believe your prophecy is me."

"I believe you are mistaken."

Our words are so quickly spoken, even I can't keep up. Not with so many things going on inside my head. The burning embers coursing through my veins tell me I need to kill him, but my love for him is trying to ice away the fire.

"Then I'll do it myself. I will never be able to live with myself. Not without you." He storms towards me, dangerously close. My hands twitch. I need to kill him.

"Zayn, get the hell away from me. Run, now," I demand, but he only steps closer. The scent of his pumping blood invades my nostrils. The smell of his blood has never intoxicated me in the worst way possible until now. His scent has never affected me in such a bad way so much.

"Zayn," I warn weakly, craning my neck away, trying to find a way to get the smell of his blood and the sound of his pulse away from my senses.

"Elle," he says in a teasing voice. Then the smell hits me hard. I twist my eyes to focus on him, but really my focus ends up being on the cut down his arm, where blood leaks from his veins and onto his skin. I shake vigorously, feeling the burn in my eyes and the clench in my throat.

Then the last stringed rope attached snaps apart and drops to the ground as a gird around the old tree, and I let out a torturous cry. My arms swing above me, breaking a large branch off of the old tree.

"Zayn, please, run. I love you." More tears stream down my face.

"Kill me, Elle! Do it!" He digs a branch deeper into his skin. The deeper he cuts, the harder I cry. The pain is overwhelming, in all my years of living, I've never felt so eaten alive and so painfully heart shattered until now.

Something inside of me reacts, and I swing the sharp end of the huge branch towards him. My other arm restrains my wrist, stopping myself from even letting the branch graze his beautiful, olive skin.

"Get the hell away! We can do this, we can get past this. We just have to wait until the Eclipse passes," I shout to him.

He lets out a strangulate cry and smashes the branch in his hand against the tree, inches away from my head. "Dammit, Elle. I need to kill you!" He rips at his hair, pacing away from me. "I can't do it. I need to do it, but I don't want to." Tears stream down his face, and his eyes are blazing red.

I take a deep breath, thankful for his distance. Though it's not much, it's enough for me to control the thirst in my throat.

For now.

We both glance up at the sky. "No," I repeat, over and over again. I look at the branch, trapped in my tight grip, and I look down at my stomach. I turn the sharp end towards myself.

"Elle, don't you dare! You know I'll kill you if you put yourself in a weak state." It doesn't take me long to heal, but it'll be long enough for Zayn to end this.

I look at him with apologetic eyes. Too bad for him, he's not faster than me. Before he even took a step towards me in an attempt to stop me, I firmly grasp the branch with both hands, and the branch already pierces my chest. "I love you." I choke out weakly. I push the branch further inside of me until it gets to the other side of my back. I push even deeper, grunting and crying out loud, and push the branch into the tree.

It's inevitable.

Zayn rips a branch off for himself. "I love you." I cringe and cry as his painful screech echoes loudly in my ears and beg him to stop. The smell of his blood isn't what bothers me. It's the sight of him coated in his own blood, lying on the ground, shrieking from the painful impact that pains me most. So much, the desire to drink every ounce of blood vanishes.

Our wounds will heal eventually. I've tried to kill myself enough times to figure that out, and I know Zayn has, too. Maybe, by the time this all ends, we will both be too weak to kill each other.

Then the earth, sun, and moon align perfectly.

Then I look down at my chest; the wound healed completely.

I look up into the sky, the Eclipse hazing my mind and clouding every logical thought and happy, loving emotion I have.

I look back down and stare straight into Zayn's now darkened eyes, a smirk evident on his face.

His wound healed completely.

I guess it is inevitable.

My eyes burn pleasurably as I feel my irises darken to a blood red color. The ferocious fire within me diminished, for just the shortest moment, as I look into his eyes. His eyes lighten up again, and I feel my love for him reappear. He mouths "I love you" and I reciprocate.

But just as quickly the feeling came, it had gone.

His smirk reappears, and a smirk of my own compliments my face. His eyes are dark- black, almost. Mine are a deep, blood red.

"Ready to die?"

--

{This had to have been the most intense thing I have ever written. I apologize it's short, it's just a prologue, so the chapters will be much longer! Tell me what you think! I hope you enjoyed:) This book is AU, meaning that even if you are not a fan of 1D, you can still read this book! It is completely fictional, too. Now, I promise this gets somewhere! Don't worry! I really hope you enjoyed this. PLEASE do the honor of voting and commenting. It means more to me than you think. I've been so nervous about this book, so I am in need of some reassurance! I can't wait to update, and I really hope this story gets somwhere haha! And this is dedicated to @izzysaphira who unknowingly inspired me to start writing fan fiction. I love her books, they are completely amazing, and so is she! Love you! XO, Brenda}