Virginia studied every shift of those strong hands—hands that would soon be touching her skin. She swallowed hard as her body tingled. What was her problem? With any other woman, they would already be tangled up in the sheets by now.

Extending a hand in front of him with a slow sweep, he said, "Talking is good."

Oh for God's sake, just say what you want to say and get on with it before he changes his mind. "I want you to know that I've never done this type of thing—"

One eyebrow arched up. Way up.

Her cheeks grew hot. "I don't mean I've never done it. I . . . I mean . . ."

She couldn't get the right words to string together. She tried again with, "I don't usually do it so soon, after the second"—she frowned, knowing it was an exaggeration—"date." She shook her head. "Except it wasn't a date tonight." Her gaze shifted around the room before going to the ground and staying there. "And, of course, there was that whole scene in this kitchen a few months ago. . ."

Virginia peeked up at him through her lashes. He was leaning forward, elbows on his knees, fingers steepled under his chin, smiling as he waited for her to finish.

She shrugged. "Sorry this is so lame. I'm sure you're not used to that."

His hands clapped down on his thighs before he stood and closed the distance between them. "Ginny," he murmured, drawing her gaze up to his. "We don't have to do anything you're not ready for. If you have a number of dates in mind—say ten—I'd be more than willing to take you out twice a day for the next five days."

Virginia laughed a little. "Funny." She was overthinking this, as always.

He stroked her cheek with his thumb, all traces of teasing gone from his face. His voice was soft and sincere when he added, "I know this is an important step for you. I'm happy to be with you in whatever way you're willing to let me. We could just . . . watch a movie."

His slight grimace told her that was the last thing on his mind, but she smiled at the half-hearted offer.

"I'm going to kiss you now. If you want me to stop at any point, just say the word"—his hand drifted down to the neckline of her dress, fingertips tracing along the bodice's edge, lingering over the swell of her cleavage—"and I'll do my damnedest to change your mind." His grin was full of mischief.

"I won't be able to stop," she whispered.

"Good."

He leaned in with a chaste kiss and then lifted his head—one last chance to pick a movie. She reached up and sank fingers into his hair, pulling his mouth back to hers, her answer evident in the firmness of her kiss.

There were no more questions as his tongue parted her lips and consumed her mouth. Hands circled around her waist, pulling her closer until they touched. He was all male, hard in all the right places, demanding as he pushed against her. And talented.

Man, was he talented.

He knew how to wake up her body. Small sounds of delight escaped her throat as his hands roamed over her, sweeping down her back to her waist, to her hips, then reaching behind to pull her flush against him. On their way back up, they came close to her breasts. She shifted positions to give him better access, but he continued only to tease, brushing along their sides with his palms, only to pull back and retreat to her waist again.

She moaned in complaint.

A deep chuckle against her lips was all she got.

But two could play at that game. She broke away from him to speed things along, reaching up to undo the remaining buttons on his shirt. He followed her lead, working on the cufflinks. The tie came off, and the shirt, the whole set tossed onto the counter.

She stared. And stared. Looking at him was such a turn-on, making her heart race and her body heat up to a point where . . . well, foreplay was now optional, enough said.

"Ginny . . ."

God, he made her name sound like a secret caress.

"Ginny," he repeated, knowing the effect he was having on her, his voice hoarse but edged with delight.

Virginia reached out to touch him, starting with the ridged shoulders, wide and heavy like a mountain. He closed his eyes and drew a deep inhale as she slid her hands together across the breadth of his chest, up and over sloped pecs, and lingered in the smattering of hair that sat between them. His reaction spurred her on and she followed the trail as it narrowed and headed downward, watching his abs flex under her touch. Feeling deliciously wicked, she went for the belt buckle next, eager to find out if everything about Mark Spinelli was bigger than average.

He grabbed her wrists. "Don't."

END OF CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

Sorry, sorry, sorry. It's just the perfect spot to split a very long chapter into two. 

The next two chapters are PRIVATE and a little steamy. YOU MUST FOLLOW ME TO READ PRIVATE CHAPTERS. If you have any difficulty accessing the sections, please refer to Delicious Details at the front of this book for further instructions. Thank you for understanding the need to protect my work :)