08: First step

*Erica Mena

“Where are we going?” I asked as we drove around the streets of New York.

“You’ll see when we get there, stop asking Erica.” Kim replied looked between the road and me

Kissing my lips I turned the radio up, Chris Brown Loyal was playing. Perfect timing huh?

About 30 minutes we were in a familiar neighborhood. We were at my mothers.

Feeling my chest tighten up I turned to Kim.

“What are we doing here?” I asked through my teeth

“You need to talk to her and see your son.” She said with attitude as she parked alongside the sidewalk.

“No, I don’t need to do anything. You need to stay in your place.” I snapped.

I love Kim like a sister, but there is one thing that homey don’t play about, and that’s about my family my son in particular. I respect her for trying to do this, but I don’t need help in this department. I got this.

“And as your friend this is my place. You need this.” She said putting her hand on my leg.

Around my son reality kicks in and I’m mommy. I’m not just Erica, or Heaven’s girlfriend, Kim’s friend, or even the girl that’s trying to get at Cyn. I have importance.

Shaking my head I removed her hand from my leg and got out the car. Walking up to my mama’s door, I used the key pushing it open.

“Ma.” I yelled walking into the cool house seeing King toys all over the place

“Erica is that you?” She asked

“Yes, where are you at?” I yelled back hitting the bottom of the stairs

“In King’s room mija.” She said as he voice started to fade

Hearing the house door closed I seen Kim standing in the middle of the living room. Looking back up the stairs I decided to go up there.

Going to the second bedroom, I went into King’s race car themed room.

“MOMMY!” He yelled curving his grandma running to me causing me to laugh.

“Hi my King.” I picked him up

“I missed you mommy.” He said into my hair

“I just seen you on Friday.” I said moving so I could see his face

“I know, but I just missed my mommy,” He smiled His teeth were growing

“And ya mommy missed you too.” I returned the smile snuggling him to me

“Hey ma.” I said as I rubbed King’s back

“Hey baby. What did I do to deserve this pop up visit?” She joked

Y’all wanna know where I get my joking from? That woman right there is hilarious.

“Nothing, I just wanted to come see you guys.” I said pulling King away to see his face again.

He lights up my world. Like I said before I feel importance when I’m around him. He makes everything else I do seem minor.

That’s why I don’t care if Heaven leaves, or anybody for that matter because at the end of the day I have a son, a kid, that needs me and ain’t going no where. I can’t deal with the constant pressuring because it’s the same thing I went through with King’s father. It’s the same reason I don’t wanna be in a committed relationship. The same reason I have no feelings for these women, because he had none for me. The mother of his child.