My face warmed as I approached the king, and for the very first time, I was grateful for Roberta's relentless criticism. Thanks to her demand for perfection, I didn't even have to think about what to do at this moment. My feet moved me automatically into position and I bent into a deep curtsy before the king.

"Rise, Keira," the king said genially. "And tell us what it is that concerns you. Some more fashionable decor for the East Wing, perhaps? Or new furniture for your chambers? Are those details terribly outdated?" He laughed and many of the men joined in.

Straightening, I forced a genuine-looking smile and ignored his insinuation that a woman couldn't possibly have anything more substantial than fashion to occupy her mind.

"I'm afraid I am not the one to ask about such things, Sire. My knowledge concerning what is fashionable is a constant trial to my maids and servants," I said, earning a few chuckles from the room.

"Enlighten us, then," the king said. "I'm most curious."

I glanced at Alex and he nodded encouragingly. Focusing on the king once more, I raised my chin and took a deep breath.

"The matter I would like to discuss, Sire, concerns the conflict a few weeks ago between the two men of different classes."

The king looked slightly confused, so I elaborated.

"The one man attacked the other because the latter attacked the daughter of the first," I prompted.

Understanding filled the king's eyes and he nodded, seeming interested but also surprised at my choice of topic.

"Your Majesty, I understand that the law was upheld - that you were even quite sympathetic to the one man, and granted him more leniency than would typically be given, but..." I hesitated nervously.

At another nod from Alex, I forced myself to go on.

"But I feel that the outcome wasn't...exactly fair."

Despite my flattery, and making the distinction that I wasn't criticizing him personally, as Alex had advised, the king still seemed somewhat offended.

"You believe that my ruling was unfair?" The king's tone was mild, but I could tell by his eyes, he was annoyed at the idea of being questioned.

"No Sire," I said. "I understand that you upheld the law as you were supposed to. I don't believe that anyone could deny your integrity or care for your people. It's just that the law favors the upper class, quite unfairly."

The king raised his eyebrows, clearly believing that I was naive and foolish to be concerned with such a thing. There were a few chortles and other amused sounds from men like Lord Houghton, and I resolved not to get distracted.

"I realize that is largely intentional," I said. "There is a system in place, and it has specific rules. The upper class have a great amount of responsibilities and obligations, and in return, they enjoy certain privileges. It is a system that has worked for a long time. I am not trying to criticize that or upset it in any way, but...I believe that there ought to be justice as well."

It was encouraging to note that the king was begining to seem more interested than skeptical.

"People of the upper class hold to the belief that we are elevated - better in many ways than those of the lower classes. Certain behaviors are expected from the lower class due to their lack of education or training in decorum, while those of the upper class are presumed to be above such things. They are given the benefit of the doubt, yet have virtually no reprucussions when they fail to live up to such a standard."