chapter five ; courting

“Autumn!” I heard my sister scream from behind my bedroom door.

I groaned and took out my ear plugs. “What?” I turn around on my chair and walked to the door. I opened it with a frown on my face. She called me while I was watching an intense episode of the Fairly Odd Parents, what could I do? As you can probably tell, I’m obsessed with cartoons…

“Someone’s here for you!” Summer grinned.

“Uhm, who would visit me?” I raised my eyebrows.

She giggled. “Look and see.” She then skipped away to her room.

I walk to the front door of our apartment and unlocked it.

“Hey.”

“What are you doing here? Weren’t you supposed to be back in Canada?” I stare at him in disbelief.

“Nope!” Zach smiled.

I look at him up and down. He was wearing a white shirt and sweatpants with his hair all messed up and was holding a bouquet of flowers and Cadbury.

I burst out laughing. “Why?”

He looked at me amusingly. “These are for you! You told me to court you properly!”

“I was joking!” I giggled, taking the flowers.

“Oh.”

“You goof. Come inside. Thank you, by the way.” I blush.

“Alright, but we are going somewhere. Go change into fancy clothes like me.”

I raised my eyebrows at him. “I’m already wearing clothes like yours. We’re pretty much twinning the outfits… Where did you come from anyway?”

“I was at Jordan’s since yesterday.” He scratched the back of his head. “So, let’s go?”

“You’re serious? We’re both just wearing sweatpants.” I told him.

“Yeah, come on!” He dragged me out my apartment and into the elevator. He pressed the button up to the rooftop.

“Eh? Where are you bringing me?”

“Fancy rooftop date!” We got to the floor and got out of the elevator. His hand held my freezing one and it instantly got warmer.

We walked to the middle and I saw a round, two seater table with flowers and candles in the middle. It looked beautiful in the moonlight.

“It looks like it has shaders on.” I blurted out, face palming after. Who says things like that?

He just laughed and pulled out a seat for me. “My lady.” He genuinely smiles after he sat on his own chair.

I giggle at his actions. “Dork.” I look around. “Where’s the food?”

“Oh, Autumn. Is food all you ever think about?”

“Says the guy obsessed with pizza.” I scoff.

“I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed… more like uh liking it with great passion.”

I look up at him, amused. “Seriously, though. Where’s the food?”

He claps twice and immediately, Summer and Jordan comes out with trays. I burst out laughing.

I clutch my stomach, already teary eyed. “H – how did you get her to do this?” I point at Summer and she shot me a glare.

“That’s a secret!” Zach replies.

The two of them got to the table and served the food. When I saw it, I felt like bursting out laughing, again. “So, you bring me to the rooftop for a fancy candlelit dinner and you feed me chicken burger and fries?”

“Of course. I know you hate those fancy types of food.” I smile at him, happy that he remembered that. We started eating and talking with our mouths full. This has got to be the best date to ever be dated in my lifetime.

After we were done with the ‘main course’, Zach called out our waiters for dessert. I heard both of them groan before they brought the food to us.

Summer placed down a pint of Mrs. Fields cookies and cream ice cream in front of me and I instantly grinned. I love this flavor.I took the whole pint and greedily shoved spoonfuls of it in my mouth. Not the best view, I know. But Zach looked like he was enjoying watching my pig like behavior.

“Aren’t you gonna give me some?” He gave me puppy dog eyes and he looked stupid doing them.

“Nope!” I did an evil laugh for more effect.

“I think Liam’s the only one who can be the EV!”

“Dude, that was so last year. I’m the new EV now!”

We continued our banter until I finally gave up and gave him a bit of ice cream.

Here we are, two weirdos wearing sweats and eating unhealthy food for a date. How romantic.