Second Chance - Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Logan

I woke up with a human on my chest and it took me a few seconds to realise it was Chloe; I was in her room and hadn’t left last night like I’d planned. Out of all the women I’d woken up next to this was by far the most pleasant. The least being the charming woman that stumbled to the corner of her room, crouched down and pissed on the floor. She was still off her face drunk, but still, I was out of there before she’d pulled her thong back up.

Waking up to Chloe felt about a million times better every time it’d happened, which wasn’t a lot. We’d fallen asleep in the same bed or on a sofa but this was different. There were no tears or anger. Neither of us was really there for comfort. Well, maybe I was after her fucking date.

She spent the evening with him but the night with me. I needed that night. I wondered what he’d think if he knew we’d shared a bed – not doing what I was desperate to do in it. She wasn’t his but I wanted to tell him and it’d be a deal breaker for him.

Fuck, I was a selfish bastard.

Chloe breathed heavily and balled her hand in a loose fist, dragging her fingertips over my chest before they curled under her palm. I closed my eyes and counted to ten, slowly. The bottom half of her was beside me on the bed but the top half was almost completely on me. Her breasts were pressed pretty firmly against my chest, which made calming the fuck down almost impossible.

She was everything I’d wanted for the last six and a half years but she’d always been within my reach yet completely unreachable and I didn’t know how much longer I could pretend like it wasn’t killing me.

Her lips were facing me, soft and ready and I wanted to attack them more than I wanted anything else. She might scream if I just went for it. I could pretend I was still half asleep and disorientated, speak a load or rubbish that didn’t make sense so she thought I was sleep kissing if she shoved me off. Like that thought hadn’t ever entered my mind, every time I’d had a drink I’d wanted to kiss her so I could blame the alcohol if it went wrong. The thing that stopped me every time was the possibility that it could be awkward after. I didn’t want awkward with Chloe. I wanted everything with her. I could settle for an agonising fucking friendship, but I couldn’t do awkward.

I wanted to lay in her bed all day with her but I knew she’d wake up soon and I wasn’t sure how she’d handle the intimate position, the closest we’d been before was waking up with her elbow in my side or one of her legs against mine.

I kissed the top of her head, closing my eyes and savouring the moment for a second. I fucking love you.

Against every instinct I had when it came to her, I rolled her over, laid on my side and leant on my hand. “Morning, Chlo,” I said much too loud and much too cheerfully.

She gasped awake, jumping and clinging to the cover. “Logan! What’re you doing?”

“Waking you up, you’ve been sleeping too long. Want to go for a run?”

First she looked lost, then she looked murderous. “You woke me up to ask if I want a run at…” Her eyes flicked to the alarm clock on the bedside table, “seven in the morning?”

“Yeah, you up for it?”

“No, I am not up for it. What’s wrong with you?”

Now that was a question I wouldn’t mind the answer to as well.