Second Chance - Chapter One

Chapter One

Chloe

“Lift your leg higher,” Logan said in full, annoying trainer mode. It was alright for him, he was a sodding fitness instructor. I hadn’t exercised properly in years. Narrowing my eyes at him, I pushed myself a little more, laying my leg on his shoulder. Should muscles burn this bloody much? He grinned. “Better, Chlo.”

I hadn’t stretched like this for ages and I was already dreading the aching and stiffness that was going to kill me tomorrow. I’d just started my crazy exercise regime again two weeks ago, and I was so out of shape, it was embarrassing. I used to be able to keep up with Logan, but now I was like a little old lady.

“I hate you,” I huffed, gritting my teeth, brushing my dark brown hair out of my face. Even if I tied it up, after working out for a while it started to fall out of the ponytail. Annoyingly, Logan’s hair never looked any different. The sides were cut just a tiny bit shorter than the top, which was styled and flopped over his forehead a little.

He arched his eyebrow, the corner of his mouth pulled into a smirk, and I knew he had more in store for me. “We’ve barely started, sweetheart.” I couldn’t help smiling. Not many young men could make sweetheart work. Logan definitely could and it made plenty of women turn into mush.

“Barely started my arse!” Logan’s idea of having barely started was so far away from mine it wasn’t even funny. We’d already stretched, skipped, lifted light weights and done half an hour of yoga. That wasn’t barely starting, that was sodding barely breathing!

“A couple more and we’ll go for a run.” He pushed my leg back a few times, stretching out the muscle, again.

“Okay, okay,” I said, shoving his chest and dropping my leg to the floor, “let’s just get this damn run over with.”

Logan sighed. “Chloe, if you don’t want to do this…”

“I do.” It was time to get my life fully back on track. I couldn’t have it on hold a second longer. Fitness was important to me and I wanted to be back in my old routine.  Gulping down almost a whole bottle of water, I wiped my forehead. “Come on.” I sprinted off, knowing it would only be seconds before he caught up.

And as I thought, Logan overtook me less than five seconds later. I hated that I let myself get so unfit. “You okay?” he asked, turning left at the Post Office instead of right. We had two main routes we would run and both involved turning right.

“Yeah,” I replied breathlessly. “Where are we going?”

“Scenic route, lots of trees, more shade for you so you don’t die a slow and painful death, burning in the blistering heat of the ridiculous sun.” He laughed as he repeated my words from a few days ago. The midday sun had been incredibly hot that day, shining right down on us.

I laughed, too, and pushed his shoulder, making him stumble to the side. Logan was probably the only person who could have made me do normal things again, although I was beginning to regret asking him to train me again.

We ran, Logan gracefully, and me less so. My lungs started to burn long before they used to, another sign of how unfit I’d become over the last few years. Getting my fitness back was another step towards getting the old Chloe back.

I turned left and heard Logan stop and then follow my new direction. He’d intended to go straight ahead but I was pulled through the gates.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as his head stone came into view.