Chapter Eight: A New Family

"What a beautiful wedding," one woman gushed to another as they left the church.

Her friend, a woman wearing clothing fit for royalty, nodded thoughtfully. "Yes indeed, but did you get a good look at the bride? What country did she come from?"

"I heard that she used to be a Pokémon," the first woman replied.

"Really?" The friend sniffed as he fluttered her lacy fan. "Imagine that! Marrying one of those beasts!" She scoffed again as they passed an older, gray-haired man wearing a blue suit and a wry smile.

"'Beast', indeed," snorted Professor Rowan as the women walked away, taking their judgmental conversation with them. "She's a fair sight easier on the eyes – and certainly more pleasant – than many of our so-called 'women' these days."

"What's bothering you now?" Professor Oak said as he joined the older man. "I swear, you've been grumpy almost from the minute we set foot in the church."

"Eh, people," Rowan grunted.

"Unfair assumptions about Kimono?"

"Makes me glad I spend more time around Pokémon...and trainers, of course," Rowan amended.

"Well, the bride and groom should be along shortly to brighten your mood," Oak said lightly. "I must say, her hair color made a nice contrast with her gown."

Rowan snorted, but his smile belied any perceived irritation. "And I find it an interesting coincidence that her dress looks so much like her old Mega-Evolution...but you're right; she looked lovely."

"Does it make you wish you were a young man again?" Sycamore asked, abruptly appearing to elbow his elder.

"I'm quite happy with my family arrangements, thank you very much," Rowan grunted. "But...were I to be completely honest, I do consider Professor Gottum to be a very fortunate young man."

"Hear hear," Oak said, raising an imaginary glass.

"Professor!" a happy voice cried out, and the men turned to find Kimono Roberts hurrying toward them, nearly dragging her husband along in the process. "I'm so glad you could make it! Thank you so much for coming!"

"It's our pleasure, dear," Professor Oak said as he accepted a hug from the young bride. "You've come so far, and I am very happy for you."

"Thanks for coming, Professors Oak, Rowan, Sycamore," James said as he shook each of their hands.

"We're glad to have made it," Rowan said. "And we look forward to witnessing the fruits of your research...Professor Gottum."

"'Professor Gottum'," James repeated. "It's going to take me a while to get used to that."

"Imagine going from 'Okido' to 'Oak'," Professor Oak quipped.

"Or 'Nanakamado' to 'Rowan'."

"Or-"

"Okay, okay, I get the idea!" James laughed as he covered his head. "Have mercy!"

Rowan shared his laugh as he laid a hand on the younger man's shoulder, "You'll do just fine, Jim." He cast a glance over at Kimono. "And congratulations; you're a very lucky man."

"Thank you, sir," both newlyweds blushed.

"Now get out of here," he ordered with a wink. "You have a..." Rowan trailed off as he looked past the young couple. "Well! Looks like you have some late arrivals."

The newlyweds turned as one to see a pair of Gardevoir approaching; even though they carried themselves with equal grace, James could tell that one of them was male while the other was female. He couldn't remember inviting any Pokémon outside of his friends, so he was sure that they were strangers. "Hi," he greeted. "Can we help you?"