Chapter Four: One Battle Down, One to Go

"Good job, you two!" Professor Oak raised his glass in salute as he sat with Team Gottum in Victory Hall. "You made an amazing team out there!"

"Kimono's the one who deserves the credit, sir," James corrected politely. "She was the one out there dodging all the bullets."

"But you taught me everything I know about fighting!" Kimono protested.

"Kids, let's not start this again, please," the professor offered, trying to defuse the situation. "You both worked toward this goal, just in different ways. Could you at least call a truce during the victory party?"

Two heads hung in mild shame. "Sorry, Professor," they said in unison.

"Hey, chin up!" came a new voice, and they looked up to see a young man standing across the table from them. A white lab coat, similar to Professor Oak's, covered tanned skin, and a white baseball cap covered his head. For some reason, he wore shades even though he was indoors.

"Professor Kukui..." James breathed. He quickly came to his senses and got to his feet, extending a hand. "It's a real honor to meet you, sir! I'm James Gottum, and this is-"

"I know who you are," he interrupted with an easy smile as they shook hands. "James Gottum, of the Free-Roaming Pokémon. Nice job in the tournament, by the way. Will-O-Wisp...good thinking!"

"Thank you, sir," James said, gesturing to Kimono, who started to her feet, "but the credit goes to-"

Professor Oak noisily cleared his throat, drawing James' attention long enough to give him a meaningful look.

James took the hint and smiled as he turned back to Professor Kukui. "Thank you, sir; it was a team effort."

"No problem. Well, I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you both. Catch you later...so to speak." With that, he headed to another section of the table where Professor Burnet sat, waiting for him.

"Wow..." James said in wonder as he sat down again. "First Professor Oak and now Professor Kukui..."

"I promised you, didn't I?"

Kimono's interruption jarred him from his thoughts. "Sorry?"

She reached over, laying a hand on his arm as she gazed into his face. "I told you that they would want to meet the winner of the tournament, so I made sure to win."

His face broke out in a smile. "Yeah, you did promise that, didn't you?"

"Excuse me?" Team Gottum looked up to see another man standing where Professor Kukui had been just moments before, this one with a shaggy gray mustache and an equally shaggy head of hair. "Am I interrupting?"

"N-Not at all!" James exclaimed as he got to his feet again, this time motioning for Kimono to join him. "Professor Rowan, it's an honor to meet you! This is my partner, Kimono!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Professor," Kimono said softly as she extended her hand.

If Dr. Rowan was surprised he didn't show it as he smiled kindly while gently taking hold of the proffered hand. "The pleasure is mine, Miss Kimono. Congratulations on your victory today."

"Thank you sir," she replied, "but the credit goes to-"

Dr. Oak noisily cleared his throat yet again, causing her to smile with a light blush.

"I assume there's a story behind that?" Dr. Rowan asked in a lighthearted tone.

"You...could say that, sir," James answered as he shook hands with the scientist. "Professor Oak's doing his best to keep us in line, I guess."