11 | Kiss And Tell

Start from the beginning

I want to slap that sickeningly sweet smile off of her smug face, but I know that will only make this whole thing worse. So instead, I look up expectantly to gauge Hunter's reaction to her words.

In a way, this is the perfect opportunity for him to  prove that I can trust him with this plan or not. In spite of my intense dislike for him, I can't help but hope he's committed to this as much as I am.

After all, I'm kind of screwed without him.

"You and I? We're not a thing anymore, Clary. We haven't been for years," he scoffs, apparently not buying into her lead. "Get over it and leave my girlfriend alone."

While he doesn't exactly jump to my friends' defence, he does completely shut her down, which brings a smug smile to my face. Not to mention, he did call me his girlfriend to her face, which is bound to solidify this thing.

I watch as Clarissa's superior attitude crumbles under the weight of Hunter's rejection. The blonde girl behind her shoulder, who I've only just noticed, looks on in disbelief as her master fumbles to recover from the blow.

"Did you drink this bitch's Kool-aid or something, Hunter?!" Clarissa sputters, jabbing an accusatory finger in my direction. "You cannot seriously be dumping me for her!"

"Last time I checked, you can't exactly get dumped by someone you're only dating in your head," I inform her, shrugging my shoulders.

Hunter, who still has his arms wrapped around my waist behind me, snickers. The sound resonates deep in his chest, sending tiny vibrations down my spine even through the heavy material of my sweater and distracting me momentarily from the scene playing out.

Clarissa visibly huffs in anger, her jaw set as she glares at me. Finally realizing she's not going to be winning this battles anytime soon, she waves for the dutiful minion behind her to follow her. "Let's go, Bridget. Hunter needs some time to think about the giant mistake he's making."

And with a flick of her hair, Clarissa stalks away with Bridget, whose name I'll likely forget again soon, following closely behind.

As soon as the cafeteria doors swing shut behind them, I turn to face a rather humored looking Hunter. "How did you date that? I mean, that's a hell of a lot of crazy squeezed into such a tiny person," I state, emphasizing my words with my hands.

He merely shrugs, his lip jutting out in an innocent pout. "She's hot."

"God, all you boys are so simple minded," I groan. With one hand, I reach up and pat the side of his head. "Do you never think with this head for a change?"

As soon as the words leave my mouth, he shoots me a wicked grin. "Now, what would be the fun in that?"

My mom used to tell me that that if I rolled my eyes too much, they'd fall out of my head. I'm testing that theory now, seeing as every time Hunter opens his mouth to talk, I can't help but roll my eyes.

"Hey! Lovebirds! Are you guys planning on eating lunch anytime soon or are y'all just going to stand over there and suck face?"

Blood rushes to my cheeks and I whip my head around to glare at the perpetrators the rather rude comment.

Eliza shoots me a shit eating grin. Beside her, Ethan is cackling like a madman, while Addison is trying desperately to contain her hysterical giggling.